Good personal filter, but disappointing

Review by Chris Wright posted 01-09-2010 07:06 PM 2097 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good personal filter, but disappointing No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This system was purchased when we started up our turning program with the patients from Walter Reed with the intent that if someone needed better filtration then just a dust mask. During operation it provides excellent filtration and fresh air along with the obvious face protection one likes when turning. The motor is quiet so you’re not deafened by the constant hum of a fan near your ear. However, it does fail in a few respects. The battery takes a while to charge and the last time I used it only lasted about an hour. Also, since the motor and fan and battery are all housed in the unit, it tends to be a little bit heavy. It only weighs 26 ozs., but that weight is up high and to the front of the shield. Anyone who’s done an isometric workout will know, it doesn’t take a lot of weight to wear you out, and this is no different. After about 20 minutes my neck was getting sore and I had to stop and take the shield off to rest. I think if the weight was better balanced and it fit closer to your face it would be a much better system.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

View Rj's profile

Rj

#1 posted 01-09-2010 07:25 PM

Thanks for the review Chris! I was looking into this unit but after reading some online reviews I started wondering if this was worth getting now after reading your review you convinced me not to waist my money.

-- Rj's Woodworks,San Jose & Weed Ca,

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

#2 posted 01-09-2010 09:05 PM

thanks. i’ve been curious on their performance

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

#3 posted 01-09-2010 09:12 PM

I have noticed that neck pain on occasion but generally after 4-5 hours of use.
I dont see that it’s that muich heavier than several other facemasks out there except for the additional weight of the battery pack.
It might have made a better design if the batteries were moved to the back of the mask instead of on the forehead.
Why not try a counter wieght to see if it helps you?

Bob

View SteveRussell's profile

SteveRussell

#4 posted 01-10-2010 12:02 AM

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your posting… I have used that model in the past and found some of the same limitations as you have… namely the weight issue and the time necessary to charge the battery. My battery (I only used one, although the unit can hold two) had no problems lasting around 4 hours per charge, so maybe your battery is in need of replacement? I kept the second battery as a spare and when the first one became weak, I swapped it out and that let me get 8 full hours of use.

Trend has a newer design out now that has better overall weight distribution, but I decided to go whole hog and get a 3M AS-400 PAPR, which cost about $950.00. The battery has no problems lasting 8 hours and the motor is in the rear, so it has excellent weight distribution. The battery is carried on your belt, but the motor and filter are in the helmet, so the helmet is light on your head.

I noticed your comment about working with some of the folks at Walter Reed on a turning program. Is this a program for wounded vets? The woodturning club I founded “Lone Star Woodturners Association” is planning the first national woodturning symposium for visually and physically impaired individuals in November of this year.

We have had a lot of interest from veterans in our symposium, as well as blind turners, paraplegics, quadriplegics and those who have lost one or both of their hands or feet, or are in a wheel chair. Does you program work with disabled vets? I would love to hear more about it. Thanks in advance and all the best to you and yours!

Steve Rssell
Eurowood Werks Studio
Lone Star Woodturners
The Woodlands, Texas
Your Time To Turn

-- Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry... http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com

View WhittleMeThis's profile

WhittleMeThis

#5 posted 01-10-2010 01:02 AM

Trend has a newer product that address most of the issue you have mention (as mentioned by steve)
the Trend AIR SHIELD PRO that goes for about $399

View SteveO's profile

SteveO

#6 posted 01-10-2010 02:26 AM

I have the airshield PRO and I love it. I haven’t been able to get a mask to work well with my beard, so the positive airflow on this unit works better for me. I haven’t noticed any problems with battery life or neck pain while using it for much of the day.

-- Steve, Boulder, Colorado

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1924 days

#7 posted 01-10-2010 06:34 PM

Can you simply buy higher capacity aftermarket batteries for this unit?

Maybe….

-- -- Neil

#8 posted 01-10-2010 06:40 PM

In addition if the helmet proove a bit heay for you you might try moving the batteies to your shirt pocket and using a wire to connect to the fan.

Bob

#9 posted 01-10-2010 06:54 PM

These Lithium ion batteries are now available.

here and else where:

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

#10 posted 01-10-2010 10:59 PM

The battery doesn’t weigh that much, it’s just that the rest of the components (fans, filters, the housing) are high and to the front. I’ve used it when I was cleaning out my dust collector (we have a real big one that I occasionally have to get up inside of to knock out the filters) and when I’m standing up right it’s not bad, works real well at keeping the dust out of my eyes, and lungs. It’s just that with turning you’re leaning forward and it gets tiresome. I’ll have to try to position it better, see if I can balance it better.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

#11 posted 01-11-2010 12:18 AM

Chris , the batteries weigh 6 oz.
The unit weighs 26 oz.
I agree that the weight can become uncomfortable after a prolonged period but I have to wonder if any of the other units weigh significantly less than this one?

Does anyone have any stats to offer?
I’m just curious now.

View mancave's profile

mancave

#12 posted 01-11-2010 06:07 AM

Rockler has an air respirator for $75 that you might want to look at. I use one and like it

View Taigert's profile

Taigert

#13 posted 01-11-2010 10:48 AM

Chris,
Thanks for the post. I have been looking at buying the Trend Airsheild Pro, I seen one that includes a extra lithium ion battery and some other extas for $525.00. A lot of money to spend and be uncomfortable.

-- Taigert - Milan, IN

View john1102's profile

john1102

#14 posted 01-07-2012 04:40 AM

Great battery website link, thanks.