Clear Gorilla Glue - Good for exotic oily woods

Review by EarlS posted 07-25-2018 05:57 PM 1372 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Clear Gorilla Glue - Good for exotic oily woods No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I used several exotic woods for the 2018 mallet swap. Titebond glue was not recommended for use with the more oily exotics such as katalox, cocobolo, granadillo, bloodwood, African black wood. and ziricote. Research came up with Gorilla Clear Glue as a good candidate for these kinds of wood. The local orange box store had it in stock ~$6 for 3.75 oz.

My application was laminating boards together, face-to-face. It spread quite well using a disposable brush. Initially, I applied it too thick and much of the material squeezed out. I also forgot to dampen one of the surfaces on the first use so I’m not sure how that impacts the final cure. It was fairly easy to wipe off using a dry cloth right after application but because it is somewhat oily, it smeared as well. The first piece had smears all over it and all over my hands as well. Using gloves helped. Clamping the pieces was also a bit more involved as the glue didn’t get tacky like typical wood glues so the pieces wanted to slide around. I let the initial pieces sit overnight before taking off the clamps. The dry glue was clear and shiny. Larger blobs came off with a scraper but I still had to sand the wood to fully remove the smears and excess. Even after 24 hours it was rather rubbery. That might have been due to the lack of water on the pieces. I left a blob on the work bench to see how it cured. It is hard but not brittle.

I did have some glue line issues but I’m not sure if it was because I didn’t use the glue correctly, or because some of the surfaces weren’t as flat as they should have been. I tend towards the latter.

Later glue-ups went better and it appeared to do a good job of gluing the dense, oily woods together. I don’t recommend using it as gap filler when gluing since the dry material is very shiny. Overall I give it 4 stars since it appears to have done a decent job with wood that can be difficult to glue.

Here is the technical information I received from the folks at Gorilla Glue (thanks for send it to me!!):

CLEAR GORILLA GLUE Technical Data Sheet
Product Description: Clear Gorilla Glue is a one-component isocyanate-free hybrid adhesive formulated for high strength, versatility to bond a variety of substrates and water resistance.

It is non-foaming and crystal clear in color.

Clear Gorilla Glue is a modified silane hybrid formula.

Standard Sizes: 1.75 oz. or 3.75 oz.

Physical Properties:
Appearance Clear
Specific Gravity: 1.1 at 77 °F
Viscosity, 25oC 4,000-7,000 cps at 77 °F
Shear Strength (ASTM D905 – maple) 1,700 to 2,200 psi (12 to 15 N/mm2)
Application Temperature 32°F to 100°F
Water Resistant Passes ANSI HPVA Type II
Service Temperature 0 to 200°F (results can be dependent on material and Chemical Resistance Clear Gorilla Glue will not dissolve in solvents,
VOC Content (CARB Method 310) < 10%
Coverage 75-200 g/mm2 (~0.3 oz/ ft2) depending on material
Shelf Life 2 years

SERVICE TEMPERATURE – -20° to 180° F
OUTDOOR – Yes
MOISTURE RESISTANT – Water resistant – not recommended for continual water exposure
PAINTABLE – Yes – Can be painted with oil-based and spray. acrylic/latex and stains require sanding
SANDABLE – Yes
STAINABLE – Yes – Will require sanding
EXPANDS WHEN CURED – No
CURED COLOR – Clear
TECHNICAL STANDARDS – ANSI/HPVA Type II
STORAGE TIPS – Store in a cool, dry location. Store with access to light, if possible.
GAP FILLING – No

I would like to hear from others that have used this as well to see what everyone’s experiences have been using it.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

View pottz's profile

pottz

#1 posted 07-25-2018 08:03 PM

this is good info,i have been considering it.i dont like the regular gorilla glue at all,a foamy mess.i may give this stuff a try for those types of wood.thanks for the review buddy.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View Andre's profile

Andre

1957 posts in 1886 days

#2 posted 07-26-2018 01:06 AM

T.B. III after a wipe down of acetone will work on any oily woods.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View Peteybadboy's profile