Grizzly G0457 Review

Review by Wstein posted 07-24-2018 01:58 AM 1142 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0457 Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased the Grizzly G0457 and let me say I have been impressed with so far. I decide a few months ago I needed a bandsaw to resaw some 6/4 and 8/4 wood I had in my shop for boxes for my nieces. I looked at several different ones, my wife even got me a small benchtop bandsaw. For the price and specs, the Grizzly G0457 stood out to me. I know for the money I spent I could have gotten a 17” model instead for a little bit more. But the G0457 had the 2hp motor, 220volt connections, the capacity to resaw up to 10”, a decent resaw fence, and could handle a 3/4” resaw blade. Ebay and PayPal had a 24 months same as cash offer going on, so I decided what the heck and ordered the Grizzly (btw, this is my 3rd major tool from Grizzy)

The saw arrived about a week later, schedule the delivery for when my wife was out of town. Remember, sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission. It came in two boxes, the base in one box and the saw assembly in another box on a pallet skid. UPS Freight wheeled it right up to my garage and wished me a good day. Everything was packed well, no damage to any of the packaging.

The assembly was SOOOOOOOOOOOO easy! My neighbor came over to help me lift the saw assembly onto the base and to help mount the motor. All told, it took about 1 hour to assemble it. That is because I decided, even though the saw was in a mobile base, i needed to put the rubber feet on the base so it wouldn’t slide around in the base. The motor was the hardest part, but that was because I had to reach through the bottom wheel to insert the bolts that held the motor on. After that it was a matter of cleaning up the shipping grease and putting the top on. Once I get the table top mounted and went through and setup the blade, and adjusted the blade bearings, I fired it up and it ran like a champ. I cut some cherry i had laying around, and it was darn near perfect.

So far I have had it for a month and recently used it to resaw a bunch of 2×4’s for a project and it did it with ease. Hardly any drift in the cut, the resaw blade I used left minimal marking in the wood. Chewed through everything I have cut with is so far with ease after I installed blades from Highlands.

My two biggest complaints are the stock blade that comes with it and blade size. The stock blade is horrible. I struggled with it to cut any wood. I was afraid I had messed something up with the wiring conversion from 110 to 220, or that the saw just wasn’t all it was cracked up to be But I had ordered some blades from Highlands, a 3/4’ resaw and 1/4’ general purpose blade when I ordered the bandsaw saw. I installed them and it was night and day. Where the saw struggled to cut pine with the stock blade, it went through a 3×3 red oak block with ease using the 1/4 blade. I then switched out to the resaw blade and resawed that 3×3 red oak down to 1” strips without much complaint. So if you go and buy this saw, do your self a favor and order new blades for it at the same time and just take off the stock blade and use good after market blades.

My second complaint about this saw, is it uses kind of odd sized blade, 106” blade vs the more standard 93 1/2” for the standard 14” saws and the 131” for the 17” saws. I found the best prices on Highlands site for the appropriately sized blades.

Anyways, this is my initial review of the G0457 bandsaw, I will try and come back and update it later when I have more time with it. But so far, I am pleased with it and would recommend.

-- I would offer moral support, but I have questionable morals - Me, 2005

View Wstein's profile

Wstein

46 posts in 1902 days

View mikeber's profile

mikeber

#1 posted 07-25-2018 12:15 AM

Congratulations for the new saw! I also need one.
Regardless, beyond woodworking, you are also a philosopher:
“sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission”…
That is a life lesson worth remembering.

View Bob5103's profile

Bob5103

#2 posted 07-27-2018 09:52 AM

Congratulations on the new saw. I have had my G0457 going on 6 years now with 0 complaints. I thought the odd ball blade size might be problem but I have had no problems finding blades to fit. I really like the fact that that it accepts and tensions a 3/4” blade.