Paint Can Rim Cleaner

Review by John Smith posted 07-23-2018 03:10 PM 1200 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Paint Can Rim Cleaner No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

well – the Paint Dozer is not for the handyman that uses only quart cans of paint and finishes.
the Dozer is for gallon cans only. I found it to be no better than the paper towel,
t-shirt, toilet paper, Q-Tip and all the other things we use to clean the rims with.
plus – it only works only on CLEAN rims – so if there is hardened paint in the rim,
this plastic thing-a-ma-jig is as useless as – - – - well, it is just plain USELESS.
the only thing true with the ad is that the little silver thing is for opening the lid.
that thing is only a fender washer laminated within the plastic.
disregard the “One Star” rating because you can not give it a NEGATIVE rating.
(purchase at your own risk of throwing away a Buck Thirty Eight).

-- I started out with nothing in life ~ and still have most of it left.

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

#1 posted 07-23-2018 04:39 PM

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#2 posted 07-23-2018 10:54 PM

Sounds like this crappy thing did just what I thought it would do….especially after reading the forum post about rim clean up, etc…...Things like this are usually crap, and never true to their form…..Thanks for the review….If I see it at Lowes or Home Depot, I will “el paso”, and keep walking….!! Too bad you even had to give it a one star..

-- " At my age, happy hour is a crap and a nap".....!!

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#3 posted 07-24-2018 02:10 AM

Ever notice when we find something that is supposed to make the job of clean up easier, it doesn’t work….no matter what it is.

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View paulmon's profile

paulmon

#4 posted 07-24-2018 02:13 AM

Thanks for the $1.38 donation to the clean rim cause.

Paul M

#5 posted 07-24-2018 02:45 AM

To all; I should have never posted it on PaulM’s original post. :) All I can say, again. thank you, John. :)
And what I love about the big boxes- their return policies…. as for returning it for a buck/ and a half… I would and I do it. $0.59 is is one step closer to keeping my dollar.
So what do we do about the paint rim problem—Yet I believe that there is an answer…

View Bill_Steele's profile

Bill_Steele

450 posts in 1928 days

#6 posted 07-24-2018 05:00 PM

Paint Dozer—funny name. Thanks for the review John. I’m a sucker for these little multi-function gadgets. I will ignore this one if I see it in the store.

I normally punch a few holes in the clean rim with a nail—to allow the paint to drain back into the can. Another option that takes a little more planning is to make a few rings out of MDF or wood that you can double-stick tape or use a magnet to hold to the can. The ring will sit on top of the can and keep paint out of the rim—sorta like the picture.

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

#7 posted 07-24-2018 09:40 PM

I tried one a couple months ago. It does fit the gallon can nicely and it does push the finish around the rim. But it doesn’t actually lift the finish out of the rim unless you stuff a paper towel or something to stop the finish from running around and around.

-- See my work at http://remmertstudios.com and http://altaredesign.com

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

#8 posted 07-25-2018 03:17 PM

I received this one as an add-on gift for ordering some Bloxygen from Amazon. I have yet to use it, but it’s pliable rubber and should work with any diameter can. However I like the blue tape solution someone posted a few days ago. I also pop a few holes in the rim to allow the finish to drip back into the can.

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View Mike_D_S's profile

Mike_D_S

#9 posted 07-25-2018 11:00 PM

I like the Shur-line pour spout.

You obviously can’t use it and brush directly out of the can, so you have to transfer paint into another container. But it keeps the rim very clean and is pretty easy to wash up with hot water and a little but of elbow grease.

It seals well also. I’ve kept it on a gallon can for several days while painting at the house with no skin forming in the can.

Mike

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......

#10 posted 07-26-2018 12:59 AM

I honestly recommend the Shur-Line covers. They come in quart and gallon sizes. Home Depot sells them only in gallon size and Amazon sells both sizes. I just purchased a 3pak from Amazon today for $13.96. Cost effective not only for my $20 finishes but my metal coatings $40 quarts. They are both reliable and reusable-
After, Mikes post today- I went out to the paint room and reviewed my Shur-Line covers. I took pictures of a paint can, that was sealed from a 2-year-old project.
The Shur-Line cover pictured was finally used on this can. NO FILM or RUST very pliable and could be used again

Stored for 2 years in AZ- today it was 115 but that doesn’r bother the Shur-Line