Irwin XP, One handed bar clamps/spreaders

Review by Dick, & Barb Cain posted 2361 days ago 6020 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
 Irwin XP, One handed bar clamps/spreaders  Irwin XP, One handed bar clamps/spreaders  Irwin XP, One handed bar clamps/spreaders Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received a pair of these 12’’ clamps as a gift.

I have never used one handed clamps before this pair.

Now whenever I have a clamping job, I grab these right away.

It’s almost like having an extra hand, & they have plenty of clamping power.

They provide 550 lbs of one-handed force (900 lbs of two-handed force).

I also like the soft no-slip jaws, & you can reverse them to push things apart,

such as chair rungs, or when dry fitting cabinet parts.

My hand screws have since been gathering dust.

I’ve used them on several projects already, as you can see by the pictures.

They are also handy for clamping down relief carvings to a bench.

The next time I need some new clamps, I’ll be buying more of these.

Look at these specs.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

Dick, you have discovered one of the companies in the year 2008 that really wants to be a supplier.
I have seen a torrent of great stuff comming from them and they deserve my support.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2368 days

I couldn’t live without them. Not long ago, I built a 10×10 deck with a 5×7 landing without any help….. except for a few of these clamps. I was working on a slope too. They are very handy.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

These are great to have around. I bought some cheap knockoffs of these at Harbor Freight for an unbelievable $2 each. I knew they would be flimsy, and they are, but they were handy enough to convince me I should get some good ones.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I have some little 6” ones that don’t reverse, and they are usually the first ones I grab.

View Sawhorse's profile

Sawhorse

I’ve got about 12 of these and they sure come in handy.

-- Sawhorse - Sulphur Springs, TX - www.sawhorseworkshop.com

View PanamaJack's profile

PanamaJack

Cool Clamp indeed! Thanks for the tip.

-- Carpe Lignum; Tornare Lignum (Seize the wood, to Turn the wood)

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I love this style of clamps. It would be hard to operate without them.

View Tony's profile

Tony

I have simular clamps, mine are from Wolfcraft – Mine ratchet in and ratchet out. I think I have about 20 of these at the moment, varying in size from a few inches to nearly 30”.

These are normally the first clamps I reach for, when not gluing up furniture parts. I have cheaper versions – costing a few $, but these are rarely used, the quaility in not good enough and I cannot rely upon them to give the performance needed.

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View jude's profile

jude

thanks for the good idea!

-- life can always be weaved into a song.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Dick you now know what you have been missing – these things are handy as pockets on a shirt. Glad to hear you are enjoying them.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

It takes awhile for us “old dogs” to pick up something new, sometimes.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19323 posts in 2454 days

I have a few of this type of clamp and use them a lot. They are great for holding without a lot of pressure or vibration. Beware of cheap versions that have poor holding power.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

I have had two pair of the 6” Irwin Quick Grip clamps for years (in fact one pair is black in color instead of blue perhaps indicating just how old they are). One clamp in each pair wasn’t gripping well so I wrote to Irwin explaining the problem. They responded and told me to send the faulty clamps to them and that they would replace them. Not only did they replace the clamps but they sent me 2 12” clamps instead of the 6” ones I had returned. Very nice customer service! I was a big fan of Irwin tools before this and now am even more so!

Don’t you just love hearing about a company that provides good customer service!!!

JimC

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View lumberjohn's profile

lumberjohn

20 posts in 2030 days

#14 posted 2029 days ago

After I broke three cheap chinese-made clamps with only one hand in about two minutes, I got a pair of these.
I now have four pair of differents lenght and love them.
The fact that the jaws are not parallels cause me some problems when I glue small parts.

View Ryan Shervill's profile

Ryan Shervill

#15 posted 2029 days ago

After the Canadian Home Workshop show last year, Irwin sent me home with about 20 of the XP’s (I was using them for my expo) in different sizes….I’ve since given away all my other one-hand clamps…they are really a great product.

BTW, I don’t know if they are south of the border yet….but Irwin also sent me home with 10 of the paralell clamps….EVERY bit as good as my Bessey K’s (believe it or not) and in some ways they are actually better (smooth bar, no glue interference, etc)

If you find some, give them a shot :)

Ryan

-- Want to see me completely transform a house? Look here: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?41055