Craftsmans' Delight

Review by AandCstyle posted 07-20-2018 08:56 PM 756 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsmans' Delight Craftsmans' Delight No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I work mostly in the Craftsman /Arts & Crafts/Stickley style. The furniture in the house was mostly original and, oftentimes, was in the house when Stickley lived there. I was hoping to see a great banister design that I would be able to use in my home, but my last name doesn’t start with an “S”.

The really amazing thing is that after Stickley sold the house only one family lived in the house before it was converted into a museum and they made almost no changes to the house which might have ruined its character. Yes, there is restorative work that needs to be done, but if he were to return, he would be pleased with the house as it is today.

There were a few furniture designs that, I think, are unique to the museum and some Harvey Ellis pieces. Surprisingly, interior photos are permitted for private use. This is great for me because I can make my interpretations based on the pix.

The docent, Lynn, was knowledgeable and truly enjoyed the subject matter. I wish that I lived closer so I could participate in the various programs offered throughout the year. Here is a link for anyone that may be interested. If you are ever in the area, this is definitely worth the price of admission.

-- Art

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

#1 posted 07-20-2018 09:04 PM

This one’s definitely on my list. I just finished reading a book with that staircase banister pictured. Evidently, the Stickley log house was originally designed to be a clubhouse or bunk house, and not intended for the Stickley family. He wanted to build a huge three story building on the property, but it never materialized. The book is Stickley a Complex Fate by Barry Sanders if anyone is interested. It doesn’t paint Stickley in the best light, but a fascinating read none the less.

I bet you learned a bunch of interesting facts on your visit.
Thanks for sharing.

View Luddite's profile

Luddite

#2 posted 07-21-2018 12:18 PM

Wow! Sounds like a great pilgrimage. Looking forward to see what you come up with.
We’ve done a few of the Green & Green homes but seeing the farm would be an experience.
Since I rarely go west of the Colorado and east of the Rio Grande I’d have to think about it.

Thanks for sharing.

-- T Loftus -- Just on the edge of common sense

View Sawdust2012's profile

Sawdust2012

#3 posted 07-21-2018 12:55 PM

This is a great place. My youngest cousin is the Executive Director there, so I may be a little biased, especially considering I have never been there! Did I mention my cousin is the Executive Director? Everyone should go there and donate money!

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#4 posted 07-21-2018 01:42 PM

More pictures??? You are talking about Stickley after all. We want MORE pictures!!!!!!

I’m hoping to get to the Frank Lloyd Wright Oak Park Studio over Labor Day weekend when we are in Chicago. Might be an uphill battle with my daughters who just want to shop.

View CampD's profile

CampD

#5 posted 07-21-2018 05:48 PM

Definitely on my list to visit also, in the mean time, come on more pic’s of the pieces, please!

-- Doug...

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

#6 posted 07-21-2018 09:20 PM

Willie, we were told that he wanted to start a school for boys that would teach the usual 3Rs plus woodworking. There are 2 additional smaller buildings that I think were meant to be dormitories. He was like so many entrepreneurs-great ideas but somewhat lacking in money management.

Terry, if you decide to go there, drop by my shop; I’m only about 4-5 hours away.

Sawdust, would it be okay with your cousin if I post additional pix here? They say that pix are only permitted for personal use and I am not sure how personal posting them here would be.

-- Art

View Sawdust2012's profile

Sawdust2012

#7 posted 07-22-2018 01:35 PM

Terry, if you decide to go there, drop by my shop; I m only about 4-5 hours away.

- AandCstyle

Let me check with her, and get back to you. I’ve been surprised at the level of notoriety and interest expressed here.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#8 posted 07-25-2018 09:45 PM

I thought your last name was “Style” 8^)

If I ever got out East I’d love to prowl around those fantastic museums like the one shown here, See the art in-situ.