Dustopper from Home Depot review

Review by Thisguybeanz posted 07-20-2018 02:15 AM 3401 views 0 times favorited 36 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dustopper from Home Depot review Dustopper from Home Depot review No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The biggest thing I love about this dust collector is the size and simplicity of it. All you do is open the box and attach it to any 5 gal bucket and your ready to go. It even comes with a 36” hose with 90 degree elbow. That mean no dealing with sealer bolts drilling cutting and fitting. Its even 10 bucks less that it’s competition. Made a little cart out of scrap wood in about 20 min for it all to fit. Had about a gallon of fine dust from sanding in my shopvac so I emptied as much out as I could and sucked it up with the Dustopper and little dust was inside the shopvac and it all got trapped in the bucket.

View Thisguybeanz's profile

Thisguybeanz

View AM420's profile

AM420

#1 posted 07-20-2018 05:08 PM

Thanks for the review!

Curious if these shop vac setups work well for the big waste makers like jointers and planers. I had a 1HP dust collector before that could not handle my jointer and planer waste, and the hose was constantly clogged up. I don’t mean a lot of time and sometimes not, I mean, all the time!

I eventually upgraded to a 2HP model that works like a champ, but it takes up a lot of room in my very small workspace.

#2 posted 07-20-2018 05:21 PM

I use mine with a Dewalt 2-knife planer, and it works fine. You will need an adapter to I/F with a standard wet/dry vac hose. Probably wouldn’t handle the load with a wimpy vac. I use a Ridgid 1450, which is marketed as a 6.0 hp model…whatever that means. We put up a 12-foot Christmas tree every year, so there’s usually a big pile of needles to deal with in early January. I vacuumed up about 3 gals worth, and NOT ONE needle got past the separator.

#3 posted 07-20-2018 08:18 PM

Thanks for the review

#4 posted 07-20-2018 09:58 PM

I’ve built 3 or 4 cyclones and enjoyed the projects and they all got the job done but the other day I saw theses at HD and wondered about them and had been waiting for a review on one.
Thanks for the post.

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs here on Lumber Jocks.. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#5 posted 07-21-2018 07:54 AM

Thanks for the review. I will check those out for sure.

-- Larry in Hawaii,

#6 posted 07-21-2018 01:00 PM

After further review, as they say on “Shark Tank I’m Out!”
Initially I was interested, until I did further research on other reviews of it.
For instance, a Home Depot product review-

“Verified Purchase”
I like the product but it doesn’t seal against the lip of the bucket. There are two locking tabs that barely grab the side of the bucket to lock the Dustopper on top. Because of the poor seal, I have less suction and poor separation. So it was a waste of 40 bucks. I want to return it but I did use it so I guess I will keep it.”

The material of the Dust Deputy is made of an anti-static resin as compared to Dustopper? From what I can ascertain from this review and other marketing photos- it appears to be awfully flimsy as compared to the picture of the original creator’s pitch.

Also, what actually is the material composition of Dustopper; for all plastics are not equal. I could not find out what type of “plastic” it is.
Not for me.

#7 posted 07-21-2018 04:34 PM

The one advantage I see is it will go under a table as it’s much lower than a true cyclone.
My tip for any of these [built or bought] is to use a 7 gallon pool bucket that has a screw on lid, glue the hollowed out pool lid on it and all is good or at least usable.
One other idea is that Home Depot also sells a screw on lid that works with a five gal. paint bucket, but would take a little diy to fit it up.

But for less that $40 build your own out of scraps.
It’s a little taller but has worked great for 3 years now.
Here's the blog.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#8 posted 07-22-2018 04:24 AM

After further review, as they say on “Shark Tank I’m Out!”
For instance, a Home Depot product review-

“Verified Purchase”
I like the product but it doesn t seal against the lip of the bucket. There are two locking tabs that barely grab the side of the bucket to lock the Dustopper on top. Because of the poor seal, I have less suction and poor separation. So it was a waste of 40 bucks. I want to return it but I did use it so I guess I will keep it.”

Not for me.

- Desert_Woodworker

Desert Woodworker. I normally agree with everything you write.. except this time. If you read Home Depot’s response they clearly question the type of bucket the user placed the unit on top of. They go on to say that their unit is designed to sit on top of a HOMER bucket. I plan to pick one of these up and use it as intended on top of a Homer bucket. I’ll report back how well it works or doesn’t work. As far as what kind of plastic the head is made out of, I seriously doubt its made out of antistatic plastic but we are talking shop vac here. Something that’s on for at most 5-10 mins at a pop. I’m no expert but it’s not very likely that a shop vac could generate enough static electricity to cause a spark and ignite material in a plastic homer bucket.

Here is their response if you want to read it as its quite thorough:

Response from Home Depot
THD Customer Service
April 10, 2018
Dear Valued Homedepot Customer,

Thank you for sharing your initial experience with Dustopper. We understand you have some disappointment associated with suction loss, and would like you to know the Home Depot and it’s manufacturer are here to help.

The photos you posted are very helpful in diagnosing the issue you have described. You are correct to point out a good fit between the Dustopper and the bucket it sits upon are essential for good separation performance, and to minimize suction loss. Let’s focus on these do possible concerns one at a time.

Regarding fitment to the bucket: Dustopper was designed to fit ideally on a Homer Bucket. While most standard 5-gallon buckets work well when used with a Dustopper, some buckets may have been manufactured at the fringes of acceptable tolerance for “standard dimensions”. This means there may be some leakage around the perimeter of the connection between the Dustopper and the bucket’s top flange. Leakage around the perimeter will reduce separation efficiency and lower suction at the working end of your pickup hose. If you worry that air is entering around the edge of your Dustopper, we suggest the addition a gasket made 3/8” X 1/8” foam insulation tape. This works best when adhered to the surface on the underside of the Dustopper that comes in contact with the bucket. Another solution would be to purchase a Home Depot Homer Bucket which should work well in your shop.

More on loss of suction: Any device that works as a filter will cause some restriction to air flow. Going from a standard filter to a HEPA filter, for example, will result in a measurable amount of suction loss. It’s also worth mentioning that ALL cyclonic separators are also restrictive to air flow. Generally speaking, cyclonic separators that are intentionally engineered for high separation efficiency, will be more restrictive to air flow than less efficient chip separators from years ago. We aren’t certain why you chose to “daisy-chain” two high efficiency separators. The two separators in your photo, The Dustopper and a conventional cone-shaped cyclone, are both high efficiency devices capable of separating 99% of typical dust made in most workshops. This means that the first separator in your daisy-chain configuration will collect (in most situations) about 99% of the particulate before the air (with less than 1% dust) passes to the second separator. Since only the finest dust will enter the second separator, this dust has a higher likelihood of passing through to the vacuum’s pleated filter. In other words, the second separator collects little, but ads significantly to the total restriction in airflow of the entire system. Daisey chaining of dust separators is generally not recommended in most shop applications. Suggest you try Dustopper on its own while fitted to a Homer Bucket. As you can see, those using this configuration are usually very happy with their results.

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#9 posted 07-22-2018 03:44 PM

Thanks ScottKaye,

I appreciate the clarification!

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

#10 posted 07-22-2018 04:37 PM

Scott- then we have…
Notice the original prototype (looks well made)

Then look at “OP”s actual mass produced product photo (appears to be a thin cheap plastic which would be susceptible to breakage)

This is substantiated by 2 additional reviews:

1. “This product is very thin plastic that becomes brittle with age and use. The clips break off and it is unusable. Should be better quality for the price of $40. My first one died in 2 weeks. The included instructions show a much sturdier version. Also NO seal around bucket lid included in package. Does not separate completely but definitely reduces the intake of debris to vac.”

2. “The system does a great job collecting dust, however, I was disappointed with the quality of the lid. It’s not a very thick plastic and it’s difficult to snap in place. After the fourth time of emptying the bucket the lid cracked while reattaching.”

Also, from a few YTube videos and HDepots marketing pics- nobody shows the area where the lid connects to the bucket- by “plastic snaps” :(
This product is not for me.

#11 posted 07-22-2018 06:44 PM

Home Depot’s site has a ton of excellent reviews. Also, here’s an independent analysis that’s seems to be very fair on YouTube. Every review and blog site has a few outlier reviews that are 1 and 2 stars, even for the top selling brands. Clearly, there are a lot more people that like their Dustoppers than those that don’t. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10d3FmhosnQ

#12 posted 07-22-2018 07:53 PM

I am sure that people will love this product-
The video above above, demonstrates and compares it, but he did not discuss the quality of the “build”. Compare the product in the video and review the picture that I posted above- night and day. The plastic clips that hold it to the bucket- that is a no-brainer, that it will fail sooner than later.

The good thing is that, should you not like it- HDepot- they have a great returns policy.
Question: will it work with a Lowes bucket?

p.s. Thanks a lot Scott :)

#13 posted 07-22-2018 08:26 PM

I have a friend who has one, he had the same issue of the top not initially sealing. After speaking with the HD salesperson, they recommended just like the response from them above to use only a Homer bucket. No issues since the change he says and loves it. His is the darker orange unit, so there was a change at some point is the material used.

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#14 posted 07-22-2018 11:19 PM

They are made with stolen safety coned so the color may vary.
Well they could be !!!

#15 posted 07-23-2018 12:06 AM

I personally am not crazy about orange. But heck, even if they were dirty baby diaper brown, it’s hard to find fault in something with a low profile that separates well, AND is plug and play with most 5 gallon pails. Sounds to me like Home Depot may be onto something pretty significant.