Pro Gun and Turbine at Hobbyist price

Review by brtech posted 07-18-2018 02:44 PM 759 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pro Gun and Turbine at Hobbyist price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Looking for a new spray setup, as an upgrade from the HF/Rockler (I have the “Summit” Peachtree version) less-than-$100 tool, the usual step you go to is the Earlex Spray Station 5000 series.

As an alternative, Highland Woodworking has, for some time, offered the Sprayport 6002 for $299.

It was hard for me to figure out what the spec differences between these products was, but in the end, it seems to me that the Pro-8 gun on the Sprayport is slightly better than the one on the Spraystatiion, and while both turbines are, I believe, 2 stage, the Sprayport has a beefier motor and thus somewhat higher volume and pressure.
Earlex seems to have given up on the 6002. The website seems to go from the Spaystation to the Sprayport 6003 which is a 3 stage turbine with the same gun and hose as the 6002 that I have. I don’t have any experience with the Spraystation, but I’ve been using the Sprayport 6002 for a bit and think it’s pretty great.

The turbine is loud (of course), and simple. It’s beefy. All metal case. Big power switch and nice coupler for the air hose. It has this fold out holder for the gun, which seems silly, because the hose is super long so you can put the turbine pretty far from the spray area, which helps with the noise. Docking the gun to the turbine kind of defeats the purpose of the long hose. I rigged a chain from my shop ceiling to dock the gun which worked fairly well.

The hose, as I said, is long (25’). Its very flexible. The connector to the gun is quick connect, and very easy to connect and disconnect. The connectors are mostly metal. Satisfying positive connections on both ends.

The gun is all metal, mostly cast aluminum, with a comfortable soft plastic overmold on the handle. There are two controls (pattern size and paint flow rate) as well as a swivel on the air cap for pattern orientation. There is no air control, but I never missed it. This feels like as real pro gun. Solid, beefy, not too heavy. Positive control. Well machined.

It sprays beautifully. I did thin my poly 10% for the first few coats, but the final coat I didn’t thin at all, and still got a great flow and coverage. Lots of power. I have not tried to spray latex paint, which is always more of a challenge to a HVLP spray setup, but I think it would be fine with some Floetrol.

There is no doubt that a 3 or 4 stage turbine would be better for thicker coatings. But the cost jump to get there was too much for me. My impression is that the Spraystation line has more plastic, a smaller motor and a shorter hose for roughly the same price than what I purchased.

Highly recommended!

View brtech's profile

brtech

View Woodtodust's profile

Woodtodust

56 posts in 1921 days

#1 posted 07-18-2018 07:50 PM

Thanks for the review. I have gone back and forth on purchasing one of these or getting a better compressor to run an HVLP gun. The price seems to be great and it sounds like you’re very happy with the performance. I’m going to be in Atlanta next month so I’ll have to make sure I stop at Highland Woodworking and look at one in person.

-- Bill...Richmond Hill, GA--"83% of all statistics are made up."

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#2 posted 07-18-2018 10:38 PM

Nice machine, but as you said it no longer seems available. Ugh. Anybody see it for that price anywhere?!

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#3 posted 07-18-2018 10:51 PM

I bought the Earlex from Highland. I’ve never been worth anything at spraying a finish. I got some awesome advice from Charles Neil and went to town. I recently finished my wife’s new kitchen and used the Earlex to do the finish. I have a friend who is a professional cabinet maker. I’m gonna say my work is almost as his. That sprayer really saved my bacon. Honestly I’ve found it best to save up several small projects to spray at the same time as I seem to spend more time getting ready to spray and cleanup than spraying. But, as I’ve preached to my wife and kids, cleaning up is almost as important as actually doing the project.

View brtech's profile

brtech

#4 posted 07-19-2018 01:15 AM

- kocgolf

No, it’s still available at Highland.
The only difference between the 6002 and the 6003 is the turbine assembly. The Gun, the hose and the turbine housing is the same. The 6003 is 3 stage and the 6002 is 2 stage.

View EricLew's profile

EricLew

#5 posted 07-19-2018 03:23 AM

I’m very happy reading this review. I purchased one from Highland a few months ago but haven’t had time to learn it / use it.

I bought it because I was also thinking it would be discontinued, and thought for my use it was a great value and couldn’t justify the cost of the 6003

I have to make time for it

-- I love the smell of coffee in the morning, and sawdust in the afternoon