Hurricane 1" x 6" Grinding Wheel

Review by Jim Jakosh posted 07-09-2018 08:47 PM 1003 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hurricane 1" x 6" Grinding Wheel Hurricane 1" x 6" Grinding Wheel No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have heard about these CBN ( Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels for sharpening and how the heat goes into the aluminum wheel instead of the tool, so I bought one in 180 grit and got it today. This one is 1” wide and has square corners on it. I sharpened a lot of my lathe tools and a number drills with it. I really like the square corner for narrowing out the point of a twist drill so it will drill into any surface quicker with less resistance

It runs so very true. The ID is .501 so I had to polish the shaft just to slip it on the arbor. One pass was all that was needed for the lathe tools. It should stay flat for the life of service the way it is made. The 100 grit wheel it replaced was worn down to 5 1/4” from 6” in about 10 years. It seems that it always got a concavity in it from doing a number of gouges and had to be dressed almost every week. This wheel put a very good finish on the gouges in one pass.

This wheel was $120 at this site on E bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CBN-Grinding-Wheel-6-x1-x-5-80-grit-Hurricane-WoodturningTools/153050999412?hash=item23a28cea74:g:A~MAAOSwi0RbFwy9

So far I like it a lot!!

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#1 posted 07-09-2018 09:28 PM

I’d like to get one

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 07-09-2018 09:28 PM

Thanks!

Been thinking of getting one but it’s hard to justify when I have one of the original Tormeks.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Mark Wilson's profile

Mark Wilson

#3 posted 07-09-2018 10:56 PM

I want one. No. I want two. I didn’t know they had it in 6”. I thought they were all 8”. I’ve put off procuring them because my grinder is 6”. So, you’re saying, I don’t need to buy a new grinder?

-- Mark

#4 posted 07-10-2018 01:35 AM

Hi Mark. I shopped at another source they had 6” but with a rounded edge for $150. My Delta grander had 3/4” wheels on it and this one fit just fine with one little washer behind it. They give you 4 precision ground washers so there is no wobble at all. The guards went on okay too!.

They have more at that E bay site!

cheers, Jim

#5 posted 07-11-2018 04:01 AM

best thing I ever bought for looking after tools Jim, puts a beautiful edge on the tool

Cool cutting no burnt edges
don’t have to keep dressing the wheel (you don’t wear groves in it)
last for years
Best of all, no worries about “exploding” wheels like the conventional types.

Interesting, most of the guys down here use the 80gt version
cheers
pete

-- Pete G: If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got

#6 posted 07-11-2018 11:32 AM

Hi Pete. I might have figured you already had one!! I’m glad you have had a good luck with yours. I was introduced to them about a month ago and the guy who showed them to me had 220 grit and that seemed maybe too fine. I wrote to Lyle Jamieson who got me hooked on wood turning in ‘05 and he told us to use 100 grit wheels for tool sharpening so I bought 2 of them and have been using them for years. I asked him about CBN wheels and he has switched to them and uses 180 grit on his grinders…so that is what I bought. He is kind of my guru for wood turning.

What brand do you use?

View RandyinFlorida's profile

RandyinFlorida

#7 posted 07-11-2018 01:24 PM

Why 80 grit? Why not 180. I’m thinking I’d use it for re-dressing tools most often; so the finer grit would give me a better finish.

Am I missing something?

-- Randy in Crestview Florida, Wood Rocks!

#8 posted 07-11-2018 09:33 PM

Hey Jim, I stand corrected mate, I bought mine some years ago when they arrived on the scene & I always believed it was a 80gr, just checked its actually a 180 gr, one of the best additions I made.
Cheers bud

#9 posted 07-11-2018 10:40 PM

Hey Jim, some of the guys may be interested in this article

#10 posted 07-11-2018 11:20 PM

Thanks, Pete. That is a very good article!! I see they recommend the 180 grit just like Lyle Jamieson told me. The instruction with my wheel said not to grind soft steel on it and clean it with WD40 and a tooth brush if it loads up.

I talked to guy from ProductionTool about CBN wheels yesterday and he said they have been around for a very long time..they are just under diamond for hardness and do not heat up like a diamond wheel which would require coolant. We also talked about the carbide chip donut wheel like you can get from Harbor Freight and how they seem to glaze up and not cut so good after a while. He said to take single point diamond dresser and run it over the donut surface to sharpen that carbide right up again.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#11 posted 07-13-2018 02:47 AM

Hi Jim. I’ve been thinking about one of these for a year now. I have a 8’’ grinder and the standard wheel has lost close to an inch over the years. That article from peteg is interesting. I think its time for the CBN.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#12 posted 07-13-2018 11:42 AM

Hi Dave. That is what got me to make the change. My wheel lost 3/4” and I had to dress it a lot after running 4 gouges through it. You’ll love it. It does not burn the edges!! That article was really informative, too!!