fun romp goes from wood science to wood craft

Review by KDL posted 1687 days ago 1526 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
fun romp goes from wood science to wood craft No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A Splintered History of Wood: Belt Sander Races, Blind Woodworkers, and Baseball Bats by Spike Carlsen

This is an easy, entertaining read, with a nice mix of humor, facts, and real-world knowledge. The book gets you started with a quick schooling in wood biology, then launches into a historical tour of wood, woodworking, and wood workers. He covers the silly and the serious from the perspective of both an interviewer and a carpenter. This isn’t an encyclopedia, it won’t replace anything on your shelf, but it’ll give you a real appreciation for what wood can do and has done. It ends with a well thought out essay on the future of wood and woodworkers.

View KDL's profile

KDL

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

I love this book. informative and entertaining.

I have not had time to read through all of it, I spend too much time cleaning my shop or sharing on LJ:)

I will have to get back into it now.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View rowdy's profile

rowdy

373 posts in 2067 days

This is a really interesting book. I am reading it now and find it hard to put down. The author has done a tremendous amount of research, traveled many miles, conducted untold numbers of interviews, and ultimately produced an entertaining, humorous, and informative book that most woodworkers will enjoy reading. Highly recommended.

-- Rowdy in Kechi, Kansas

View Triumph1's profile

Triumph1

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. As stated by Rowdy it was hard to put down. I had many a conversation with people about its contents. I found the chapters on golf clubs and pianos the most interesting…and I don’t play with either one:-) Read it…you will love it!

-- Jeff , Illinois Please...can I stay in the basement a little longer, please!

View Sam_Fox's profile

Sam_Fox

Well said KDL… Great book… I would recommend it to anyone with even a mild interest in wood, history, music or WHISKEY. lol… its seems to have something for everyone in it.

sam.

View Konomigon's profile

Konomigon

I hate to read, I have too much other stuff to do. I just finished the book in a week! Even though it’s not specifically a “wood working” book. I think any woodworker would enjoy it.

-- Kris