first rate wall-mounted pencil sharpener

Review by KDL posted 1660 days ago 5328 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
first rate wall-mounted pencil sharpener No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yeah, I know, it’s a pencil sharpener. But it’s a really good one like I remember from elementary school.

I don’t have much luck with little plastic hand-held pencil sharpeners, and the Boston brand desktop sharpener in my office doesn’t give me a good, sharp point. So I bought a new sharpener for my shop. I bought it at an office supply store, I think it was Office Depot. I had a choice of a couple generic and in-store brand sharpeners, plus this X-ACTO. The X-ACTO was a few dollars more, but given my past experience with non-sharpening sharpeners, I was happy to pay for a name brand associated with sharp things. I’m glad I did. This sharpener is solid, easy to mount, and gives me a super-fine point. And another good thing, unlike those sharpeners I remember from school, this one doesn’t eat pencils.

View KDL's profile

KDL

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

Do schools even still have pencil sharpeners or does everyone use mechanical pencils now? I do remember those types of sharpeners eating up all my pencils though and leaving me with little stubs. My parents weren’t too happy that I would ruin a box of pencils so quickly. I always blamed the school sharpener lol.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View Randy Sharp's profile

Randy Sharp

Thanks for the review! I’m in the market for a pencil sharpener for the shop.

-- Randy, Tupelo, MS ~ A man who honors his wife will have children who honor their father.

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

4934 posts in 1906 days

I had one of those pld style pencil sharpeners years ago until I discovered how better and precise mechanical pencils are. I now keep about a dozen Pentel mechanical pencils with a #5 lead around my shop.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.

View ChesapeakeBob's profile

ChesapeakeBob

341 posts in 2081 days

I hate to ask, but where is this one made?

Thanks,

CB

-- Chesapeake Bob, Southern Maryland

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

I have the exact same one, and love it. It really IS the little things …. ;-)

-- -- Neil

View nmkidd's profile

nmkidd

Sharp is good!

-- Doug, New Mexico.......the only stupid question is one that is never asked!........don't fix it, if it ain't broke!

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thank´s for the rewiew
but my daughter learned how to sharpen pencil´s
so I stick to that

Dennis

View KDL's profile

KDL

Bob, you asked where this sharpener was made. I don’t remember where and it’s not marked on the sharpener. I do remember that it was marked on the box and not the same as the generic and in-store brand options I skipped (they much lighter, too). I read somewhere that X-ACTO bought out Boston.

111999 posts in 2175 days

interesting review

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I can’t look at a pencil sharpener like this without remembering an episode of Candid Camera from 40+ years ago. The episode focused on people’s butt gyrations while people sharpened their pencil and it was put to music. Oh the things we remember.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

THX for sharp review. point made. I just went out and got one.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Scotty Stepp's profile

Scotty Stepp

Lee Valley also sells one that works great! I have it and a set of their #2 and HB pencils…well worth the price.

This is an interesting review. I have one that will grind down about half of the pencil before I get any kind of point on it. I do better just using a utility knife right now. The next time I am around Office Depot I will have to look into getting one of these.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

Thanks for the review, I have one that my FIL gave me, it makes a really sharp point,but leaves wood on one side of the lead. I have learned to twist the pencil as I sharpen to avoid the issue. I will look into getting one of these here soon.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"