first rate wall-mounted pencil sharpener

Review by KDL posted 01-06-2010 07:43 PM 5656 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
first rate wall-mounted pencil sharpener No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yeah, I know, it’s a pencil sharpener. But it’s a really good one like I remember from elementary school.

I don’t have much luck with little plastic hand-held pencil sharpeners, and the Boston brand desktop sharpener in my office doesn’t give me a good, sharp point. So I bought a new sharpener for my shop. I bought it at an office supply store, I think it was Office Depot. I had a choice of a couple generic and in-store brand sharpeners, plus this X-ACTO. The X-ACTO was a few dollars more, but given my past experience with non-sharpening sharpeners, I was happy to pay for a name brand associated with sharp things. I’m glad I did. This sharpener is solid, easy to mount, and gives me a super-fine point. And another good thing, unlike those sharpeners I remember from school, this one doesn’t eat pencils.

View KDL's profile

KDL

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

#1 posted 01-06-2010 07:47 PM

Do schools even still have pencil sharpeners or does everyone use mechanical pencils now? I do remember those types of sharpeners eating up all my pencils though and leaving me with little stubs. My parents weren’t too happy that I would ruin a box of pencils so quickly. I always blamed the school sharpener lol.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View Randy Sharp's profile

Randy Sharp

#2 posted 01-06-2010 08:44 PM

Thanks for the review! I’m in the market for a pencil sharpener for the shop.

-- Randy, Tupelo, MS ~ A man who honors his wife will have children who honor their father.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5178 posts in 1995 days

#3 posted 01-06-2010 10:44 PM

I had one of those pld style pencil sharpeners years ago until I discovered how better and precise mechanical pencils are. I now keep about a dozen Pentel mechanical pencils with a #5 lead around my shop.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View ChesapeakeBob's profile

ChesapeakeBob

#4 posted 01-07-2010 01:07 AM

I hate to ask, but where is this one made?

Thanks,

CB

-- Chesapeake Bob, Southern Maryland

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#5 posted 01-07-2010 02:28 AM

I have the exact same one, and love it. It really IS the little things …. ;-)

-- -- Neil

View nmkidd's profile

nmkidd

#6 posted 01-07-2010 06:02 AM

Sharp is good!

-- Doug, New Mexico.......the only stupid question is one that is never asked!........don't fix it, if it ain't broke!

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#7 posted 01-07-2010 10:44 AM

thank´s for the rewiew
but my daughter learned how to sharpen pencil´s
so I stick to that

Dennis

View KDL's profile

KDL

#8 posted 01-07-2010 05:29 PM

Bob, you asked where this sharpener was made. I don’t remember where and it’s not marked on the sharpener. I do remember that it was marked on the box and not the same as the generic and in-store brand options I skipped (they much lighter, too). I read somewhere that X-ACTO bought out Boston.

#9 posted 01-07-2010 05:41 PM

interesting review

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#10 posted 01-08-2010 02:45 AM

I can’t look at a pencil sharpener like this without remembering an episode of Candid Camera from 40+ years ago. The episode focused on people’s butt gyrations while people sharpened their pencil and it was put to music. Oh the things we remember.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#11 posted 01-08-2010 03:44 AM

THX for sharp review. point made. I just went out and got one.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Scotty Stepp's profile

Scotty Stepp

#12 posted 01-08-2010 03:52 PM

Lee Valley also sells one that works great! I have it and a set of their #2 and HB pencils…well worth the price.

#13 posted 01-08-2010 08:06 PM

This is an interesting review. I have one that will grind down about half of the pencil before I get any kind of point on it. I do better just using a utility knife right now. The next time I am around Office Depot I will have to look into getting one of these.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#14 posted 01-08-2010 08:33 PM

Thanks for the review, I have one that my FIL gave me, it makes a really sharp point,but leaves wood on one side of the lead. I have learned to twist the pencil as I sharpen to avoid the issue. I will look into getting one of these here soon.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"