all in one - color and finish

Review by Rick posted 01-05-2010 11:18 PM 6395 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
all in one - color and finish No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Sometimes when all a project needs is some oil to pop the figure and liven up the color, it seems that a wipe-on oil finish is the best solution.
Some local, experienced, woodworkers pointed me to Deft danish oil. They all use it on their rocking chairs and other various projects. Compared to Watco, I believe that Deft utilized more resin in their formula. So while prividing the great hand rubbed look it provides much more protection than the standard danish oil. I also prefer the way the clear Deftoil makes wood look compared to Watco. Just my own preference.

I had been, and am still, curious about Waterlox sealer/finish. However I like the wipe-on / wipe-off aspect of the danish oils. The Waterlox sealer/finish is a wipe-on only finish which is more like a minwax wipe-on poly. In reading a Finewoodworking review of wipe-on finishes the Waterlox and Minwax seemed practically identical in properties except for the fact that Waterlox uses Tung oil and is darker in color. They both had nearly the same penetration as well. Deftoil was not included in their review. I think because it’s not as accessible as most products. Not sure why. I finally found it here, http://www.dougs-supplies.com/storename/dougsfurniturerefinishingsupplies/ViewDept-95160.aspx

If I need more protection than even Deft provides then I’ll either add some minwax wipe-on poly to my deftoil, or wait a week for the deftoil to dry and put some wipe-on poly on top.

View Rick's profile

View hObOmOnk's profile

hObOmOnk

#1 posted 01-05-2010 11:52 PM

I prefer to blend/make all of my wood finishing, especially so called Danish Oil.
However, for convenience the Deft Deftoil Danish Oil is a much better product than the ubiquitous Watco Danish Oil. The Deftoil product contains urethane resin, tung oil, linseed and other oil (modified soya?). It is diluted with solvents but not as much as the Watco product.

Note: The term “penetrating oil” is marketing jargon. All oils penetrate. Regular tung oil and penetrating tung oil are the same thing. It’s like calling water wet.

-- 温故知新

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#2 posted 01-06-2010 06:16 PM

Thanks for the review. Hard to get stuff like that shipped up here in Alaska, so will look around at the paint stores. I have used WATCO for years, just because it is available. Other choices would be handy.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Rick's profile

#3 posted 01-06-2010 06:19 PM

Lee Valley sells it online but they say it’s only available to Canada. If you call them and tell them where you live, maybe they’ll make an exception?

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#4 posted 01-06-2010 10:48 PM

Rick
The usual problem is that essentially all mail order things come here by air, even though there are huge barges comming up regularly, which is the bulk of everything sold in stores here. Some stuff is trucked in. I think the problem is the flammable nature of the liquids. No air shipments, and that is the the way UPS, USPS, and FEDEX ship up here. Trucking has to go through Canada, and is a little rough on the contents, the roads aren’t the best. Sooo….......I will look around, seems to me I have seen that brand somewhere here.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska