Basically a good saw but...

Review by RonHoof posted 06-16-2018 04:07 PM 2040 views 1 time favorited 33 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Basically a good saw but... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had the R4512 for a little over 2 years. It has served it’s purpose without wowing me. The fence has always been an issue. After 2 years of monkeying around with the alignment and settling for less than perfect. I accidentally found out that the fence rail is TWISTED. Now I know not to mess around with alignment anymore. I planned on building my own Biesemeyer fence so it’s not that big of a deal right now.
Now, on to the biggest, dangerous item. I was using my R4512 to cut 32 2 X 4’s to a matching length one at a time. In the middle on a cut, the saw blade leaned over to a 45 degree angle. It caused a violent kickback. Luckily I was standing to the left side of the blade while supporting the 2 X 4 in the modified miter gauge to handle the length. I avoided serious injury. I got the saw shut off and stood back to see what the hell happened. The angle adjusting screw was sticking out of the side of the saw. It appears that the pivot ball came through the retaining plate screwed to the side that holds the assembly together. The weight of the trunnion forces the saw blade to the full 45 degrees without the support of that retaining plate.
I emailed Ridgid customer service about the incident and received a phone call 2 days later. The rep was very concerned and offered me a new saw. I declined and said I just want replacement parts. He agreed to get them out to me. It’s been a couple of weeks and my saw is down for the count. No parts yet.
My advice to any R4512 owners is to inspect the angle adjustment assembly and order the parts if slightly worn and be extra careful where you stand during operation.
I plan on getting my saw up and running with the biesemeyer style fence and selling it when I can raise funds for a new upgrade.

View WhereDidIPutThat's profile

WhereDidIPutThat

#1 posted 06-16-2018 05:07 PM

I always felt that those table-saws were a bit over rated, then again i felt that way about my saw stop till I actually owned one lol. Glad to hear you’re okay. Thanks for the review.

-- palette wood connoisseur

#2 posted 06-16-2018 11:09 PM

Your saw, and many others, is the reason I have Delta Unisaw…...All I’ve ever owned was Delta machines, and have had no trouble from them in all the years I’ve had them….I own one Ridgid product….a shop vac, and it’s been a good one….No complaints on it, but personally I would not own a Ridgid saw….Read and heard too many complaints on them…!! And….I’m glad you didn’t sustain any injuries due to the kickback…..Be careful in your shop…..We all have to be careful in our shops…!!

#3 posted 06-16-2018 11:09 PM

#4 posted 06-16-2018 11:11 PM

Sorry about the double post..!

View scottb22's profile

scottb22

10 posts in 1934 days

#5 posted 06-17-2018 02:33 PM

Do you have a picture of the damage? I have the same saw, no issues like that, but I plan to pull the panel off now and take a look. I did replace the fence, works great after that. The factory fence is awful imo. Thanks for sharing your incident, I am glad you are ok.

#6 posted 06-17-2018 02:39 PM

I didn’t take pics but I’ll be at my shop today. I’ll let Ale pics and post later.

#7 posted 06-17-2018 02:44 PM

Wow, I should have reviewed what I previously wrote before posting.
I’ll take pics and post later.
The weird thing about this failure is, I rarely angle the blade so there should not have been any wear. You’d be surprised how much force it takes to push the screw back into position. I’m sure the constant heavy pressure behind the retaining plate fatigued the thin metal and the pivot ball just pushed through it.

View mikeber's profile

mikeber

#8 posted 06-17-2018 06:01 PM

The way these companies work, it may have been easier (and faster) to ask for a new saw rather than spare parts. I had similar experiences with other companies as well.

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#9 posted 06-18-2018 01:23 PM

I have 3650 version, one generation before the 4512. Have had it for 10+ years. Best saw I’ve ever had. Never any problems. They threw away their standards after the 3650.

#10 posted 06-18-2018 02:38 PM

I just found out the parts I need are on backorder for a few months. Ridgid is providing a new saw. I’ll pick it up at a local Home Depot today. I’m keeping the old mobile base. The new design is a 3 wheeler. Again, a lowering of quality.
The back order tells me that this must be a frequent issue. I could be wrong but…

View JohnMcClure's profile

JohnMcClure

#11 posted 06-18-2018 04:24 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I own the same saw, same complaints about the fence, but never have been bothered to upgrade.
Now for safety’s sake I need to look at this. Do you think one could see the signs of fatigue before it’s too late, with periodic inspection?

-- I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

#12 posted 06-18-2018 04:35 PM

I believe the signs would be visible. Check behind the retaining plate that seats the pivot ball, the ball itself and the retainer clip.

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

#13 posted 06-18-2018 06:32 PM

- RonHoof

I suspect they just don’t keep many spares on hand and probably produce them in small batches here and there. But new saws keep rolling off the assembly lines and are always available.

-- See my work at http://remmertstudios.com and http://altaredesign.com

View Don Rivera's profile

Don Rivera

#14 posted 06-19-2018 07:13 AM

nice!

View Steadystate's profile

Steadystate

#15 posted 06-24-2018 12:58 PM

I just bought this saw (actually it was the R4513) and I am returning it this week. My two main complaints are that it is under powered, and the table is not level so it won’t mate easily with an outfeed table. Ironically, I actually like the fence. I spoke with a close friend who loves his Ridgid saw, but it’s 7-8 years old and we have determined they have gone down in quality since then.
Any suggestions on what I buy in place if it? Right now I’m looking at the SawStop contractor, but I don’t like the fence on the 30” model. I need to spend $200 more for the 36” model on an already expensive unit. Your thoughts?