Awesome tool for repetitive M&T Joints

Review by MC posted 06-14-2018 12:45 AM 678 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome tool for repetitive M&T Joints Awesome tool for repetitive M&T Joints Awesome tool for repetitive M&T Joints Click the pictures to enlarge them

I made the decision to purchase Leigh’s Pro FMT when I took a commission to build a large cabinet with over 200 mortise and tenon joints most of which were near identical. The tool is easy to put together and the instruction manual is very clear.

There is some set up time involved with each change in configuration and for me a change in thought process. I am used to first cutting the mortise laying out the joint measuring from the edge. For the tenons I have always used a marking gauge to transfer mortise dimensions to the board to cut a corresponding tenon. With this tool you select the template to be used; the template determines the size of the joint. The tool includes an adjustment to fine tune how tight of a fit you like for the joint. On some extra pieces there is some trial and error test cuts to find this perfect setting. Once you are satisfied with the fit the tool has a very accurate site for locating the mortise and tenon, but this is where the thought process changes for me. You must mark on your piece the center of the mortise and tenon to be cut. If all of your cuts are off center and not edge to edge…measure ten times cut once!

Once the jig is set up for the first cut the remaining pieces are loaded and cut without siting. I checked variances and found there to be none that I could measure. This was much appreciated for the next 72 mortises and tenons I had to cut.

If I only need to cut four or less M&T joints I am not sure if this tool would save any time, but I am still learning on the set up. For repetitive cuts, the more you have the more valuable this tool is. I was able to cut 72 M&T joints, including set up, in about six hours.

View MC's profile

MC

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#1 posted 06-14-2018 12:08 PM

I have one as well. It is a really well designed and well built jig. I find that it is a time saver even for one or two M&T since you don’t have to spend so much time dialing it in. Leigh makes good products.

#2 posted 06-14-2018 08:04 PM

Good review, great to hear it works well for you. How’s dust collection?

View MC's profile

MC

#3 posted 06-15-2018 12:57 AM

Good review, great to hear it works well for you. How s dust collection?

The dust collection is pretty good some dust but most is picked up by my dust collector.

- pintodeluxe