Rohm 871053 Type 136 Supra 13 Keyless Drill Chuck

Review by PPK posted 06-11-2018 06:28 PM 586 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rohm 871053 Type 136 Supra 13 Keyless Drill Chuck No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a WEN drill press, that came with a Chinese no-brand chuck. The chuck was wobbling and I had enough run-out that it would shake the whole work piece and vibrate like nobody’s business. I knew this could be a possibility with the DP I bought, but that’s another topic; I’m reviewing the chuck not the DP. (I really like the DP now that I have a good chuck, in case you were wondering)

This chuck is about 1/2” capacity (It’s Geman, so it’s all Metric). It’s keyless, and is machined superbly.
I’ve run large 2” forstner bits at low speeds (lots of torque) and had no slippage on the bits, even though it was just hand-tightened. The jaws on the chuck are different from what you’d see in a Standard Jacobs chuck. Wish I could describe it better, but they seem to move much smoother and grip much better. German engineering at its finest, I guess!

I have not been able to see or feel any run-out now. I don’t have a good way to measure, but it tell you what, it drills really nice clean holes!

Fitting the chuck to the drill press was easy; I got the J33 to MT2 arbor adapter, and it went together with a few taps.

For about $115, (Chuck + arbor adapter) I’m very pleased with the results.

Link below to where I purchased it:

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

#1 posted 06-11-2018 06:47 PM

Very glad it works for you.

Thanks for the tips.

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

3284 posts in 2015 days

#2 posted 06-11-2018 10:32 PM

That is a nice chuck. What is the runout with it installed?

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 06-12-2018 12:37 PM

Prices have come down on the Rohm chucks quite a bit. I’ll have to save up my pennies to get one for the drill press.

I have one on a Bosch hammer drill and agree that they are very high quality.

-- It’s the knowledge in your head, skill in your hands and motivation to create in you heart that makes you a woodworker. - Mainiac Matt