Great Oscillating Spindle Sander option

Review by richgreer posted 01-03-2010 11:22 PM 9245 views 7 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Oscillating Spindle Sander option Great Oscillating Spindle Sander option No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted an oscillating spindle sander but I was not willing to give up any floor space to accommodate one. I considered some bench top options but I felt the work surface on most of them was too small. I found the ideal answer with the Porter-Cable PC121 sander and a special insert plate for my router table from Woodpecker.

Now I can lift my router out of the router table and set the sander in. I then have the entire router table as a work surface for my sander and I am not taking up any additional floor space – just a little additional shelf space for storage when not in use.

The PC-121 is sold as a handheld portable oscillating spindle sander. When you attach the insert plate to the sander you have not given up that functionality. You could still use it as a portable sander without changing back to the original plate.

An interesting accessory is an edge guide. In order to use the edge guide with the sander you would have to switch back to the original plate. There are only 6 screws and it is easy to switch.

The insert made by woodpecker is aluminum and very well made. It is also, in my opinion, a little expensive at around $100. In retrospect, I wish I had made my own insert out of wood. It would not be hard to do and it would save a lot of money.

The PC 121 sander is a solid piece of equipment that runs smoothly with adequate power. My only complaint of substance is the lack of a spindle lock or a place to put a wrench to the shaft when replacing the paper or the drum. To replace the paper you need to loosen a bolt at the end of the spindle. To replace the drum you need to remove the bolt. If the bolt is too tight it is very hard to loosen because the entire shaft turns. I had to grasp the shaft with a set of vice grips around a piece of rubber. It worked, but it is very inconvenient.

The PC 121 comes with only a 2 inch drum. A package with the .5, 1 and 1.5 inch drums is available for an additional cost. Anyone who owns this sander will want these additional drums. In my opinion, they should be included with the sander.

The dust collection system that comes with the sander does not work when using the sander in the router table. I use my router fence with its dust collection system. That takes virtually all of the dust away nicely.

This really is an ideal set up for someone who wants a stationary oscillating spindle sander and does not want to give up floor space. I just wish it was sold with all 4 drums and I wish it had a spindle lock. That’s why I give it 4 stars.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#1 posted 01-04-2010 12:02 AM

Nice solution, nice review,
Thanks

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View papadan's profile

papadan

1152 posts in 2020 days

#2 posted 01-04-2010 12:08 AM

One of the other guys posted about this not long ago when someone asked about sanders. I believe he made his insert plate. Good review on it though.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View kshipp's profile

kshipp

#3 posted 01-04-2010 02:16 AM

I didn’t even realize that someone made a portable spindle sander like this. Good to know and thanks for the review.

-- Kyle Shipp, http://battleshipp.blogspot.com

View Jim's profile

Jim

#4 posted 01-04-2010 02:32 AM

I had a chance to buy a used one a couple of years ago used but like new with all the sizes for $75.00 and like an idiot I passed it up.

-- Jim in Cushing Oklahoma

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#5 posted 01-04-2010 03:12 AM

Good idea. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

112080 posts in 2229 days

#6 posted 01-04-2010 04:15 AM

I have had one for a number of years but have not really used it since I have a floor model.

#7 posted 01-04-2010 05:32 AM

Something to keep an eye out for on Craigslist : ) I also like your router table mounted to the wall like that : )

$30 for all three extra spindles with table inserts http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-12100-Spindle-Sander/dp/B002TRKJKI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1262576092&sr=8-2

Amazon also has the plate adapter for under $20 part # 12101

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#8 posted 01-04-2010 07:41 AM

good review – thanks.

just looked it up. at $300 this is not so cheap. nice that it doesnt take much storage space though. Jim – I’ll take yours anytime you’re ready ;)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1920 days

#9 posted 01-04-2010 12:49 PM

Excellent post, description and pix. Yet another good idea.

Love the wall-mounted holders. Will fabricate same in my new shop.

Emerson Electric’s two-hundred-dollar platform OSS is still quality and value champ.
(Word is many THDs can’t get enough of them)

Best,
Peter

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#10 posted 01-04-2010 01:02 PM

That is the coolest thing!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#11 posted 01-04-2010 03:39 PM

Thanks for the review. I own this PC121 OSS. I think I should use it on my Router tablle.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#12 posted 01-04-2010 06:11 PM

Interesting option. Thanks for the review. That is certainly a good space saving solution. I don’t know if I will ever have space for a stand alone OSS, so that might be the way for me to go.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#13 posted 01-04-2010 09:55 PM

A couple of people have commented on my wall mounted router table. 99% of the time I like it. Every once in a while I come upon a situation in which I would like access to all 4 sides of my router table, but those situations are rare. In my shop space is an issue and mounting the router table on the wall was a pretty good space saving idea.

In one picture you may notice a flat steel plate from an electric box that is mounted to the wall. I have several of them in different strategic locations in my shop. Their purpose is to hold a magnet based work light. They work great.

View mbs's profile

mbs

#14 posted 11-05-2013 01:17 AM

I just saw one at auction on eBay that will sell tomorrow.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.