It's Daylight in My Shop

Review by CharlesA posted 06-04-2018 04:10 PM 2393 views 3 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It's Daylight in My Shop It's Daylight in My Shop No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m getting close to finishing up my new shop setup outside Atlanta. On the “Deals” thread on LJ I saw that these Feit lights were on sale at Costco. Online they’re $40/2 pack. Locally they were selling for $20/each.

My first clue that somethign was up was when 2 different complete strangers, upon seeing them in my cart, told me what great lights they are!

I linked them together in my garage (5 of them—1 more is installed separately). I plugged them into a remote for an outlet on the celing. No matter time of day or night, it is light full daylight inside the shop. I couldn’t be happier.

I highly recommend.

View gargey's profile

gargey

#1 posted 06-04-2018 06:19 PM

You’d be surprised how bright the sun is.

But I also like these.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#2 posted 06-04-2018 06:44 PM

Wow, nice price indeed!

I have also been drinking the LED strip light coolaid, getting a similar unit on sale at the H.D. for about 150% more than you paid. They are fantastic. I love that I can link them together, and get up to NINE powered off of one standard outlet.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View Alan72's profile

Alan72

#3 posted 06-05-2018 12:21 AM

I have about 8 of these lights in my garage, it’s night and day compared to the old florescent, no cold winter start ups, instant sunlight. I was just at Costco and seen there back in stock, totally worth the $20.00.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#4 posted 06-05-2018 04:00 AM

how do you like the color temp that is what scared me off of those ? since I was looking to get closer to 5000k and daylight

#5 posted 06-05-2018 12:13 PM

I like the color, but I did no comparison of different temps.

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#6 posted 06-06-2018 11:28 AM

Exact ones I got last winter when they were on sale. Incomparable to the old tubes. Brilliant. Love them.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#7 posted 06-07-2018 02:43 PM

- playingwithmywood

To be honest, I thought it would, but it has not bothered me in the least. The only place I took action, was directly over my work bench, where I have one of these mixed with a pair of 100 watt equivalent “soft” (aka warm) L.E.D.s
I figured the mix or option for one of the other would be good. I usually do mix the two, but in reality I’m not sure I really care. the cooler “daylight” is quickly adjusted to.

There is a time and place for the old incandescent style warm lighting, after hours in your living room enjoying a scotch, etc. However it turns out that a workshop is not such a place.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

#8 posted 06-08-2018 03:16 PM

My T12 fixtures are getting long in the tooth. I need to upgrade to LEDs, good to know they are working well..

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/daves-workshop

View wrenchhead's profile

wrenchhead

#9 posted 06-08-2018 03:51 PM

Nice. I have the same fixtures in my shop and they work great!

-- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRuFxW8HhRfyhbTP4SY5UA I could quit if I wanted

View AM420's profile

AM420

#10 posted 06-08-2018 04:36 PM

Do you have to use the hooks to hang them? My garage ceiling isn’t too tall and they would need to clear the garage door opening up.

I think I spent about $40 a piece for some non-linkable LED lights at HD about a year ago. Wiring them up was a PITA. One has already failed and another is blinking out and will probably be dead soon. I checked and the wiring is fine. Not happy at all. I may just chuck them all and get some of these.

#11 posted 06-08-2018 05:12 PM

There are conventional keyhole slots on the fixtures. That’s why I used.

Do you have to use the hooks to hang them? My garage ceiling isn t too tall and they would need to clear the garage door opening up.

- AM420

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#12 posted 06-08-2018 07:43 PM

I bought these as well. I replaced all 10 florescent fixtures in my shop. They are so bright I often will only pull the chain on a few of them. I really like the ability to daisy -chain them together.

It has made a big difference in my shop.

-- I always knew I would grow old, But I expected it to take longer!

View jeffswildwood's profile

jeffswildwood

#13 posted 06-08-2018 08:28 PM

I have them also. Fantastic. Beats the neon big time. I see much better now.

-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way that says "I meant to do that".

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#14 posted 08-03-2018 02:44 PM

Thank you folks and CharlesA for the recommendations now there’s light in my shop.

Good call!