Kreg Bandsaw Fence is a Keeper

Review by pintodeluxe posted 05-29-2018 03:15 PM 1181 views 3 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kreg Bandsaw Fence is a Keeper Kreg Bandsaw Fence is a Keeper Kreg Bandsaw Fence is a Keeper Click the pictures to enlarge them

This Kreg fence was chosen as replacement for the factory fence on my early 90’s Jet bandsaw. The old Jet fence had tubular front and rear rails, and was cumbersome to lock into place. You actually had to tighten two separate knobs. My other complaint was the Jet fence rails stuck out several inches to the right, and I was always backing into them and jabbing my ribs. So out with the Jet, and in with the Kreg.
The really great thing about the Kreg fence is that it’s located within the footprint of a common 14” bandsaw. The rail and fence extrusions don’t stick out farther than necessary. The fence is easy to remove for operations that don’t use a fence. Just a couple twists of the knob, and it lifts straight off.
Another thing I like about the Kreg fence is that it adjusts and locks down with a single knob. Looking at the pictures, I was worried that the knob that locks down the fence would mar the black rail. It turns out there is a pivoting tip on the knob that prevents damage to the rail. The fence locks down firmly, and won’t slide until you release it. What about deflection? As with any single-rail system to mount a tool fence, I worried about deflection. Wow, was I wrong. Once the knob is locked down the fence is quite rigid. I pressed a thumb against the outfeed side of the fence, and I couldn’t get the fence to deflect. That is impressive considering how quickly you can install/remove this fence. Any Negatives? This is a magnificent setup, and any gripes I have are minor if not microscopic. The nylon set screws and allen screws can be a little finicky during initial setup. You adjust them to set your fence square to the bandsaw table. A few minutes of trial and error usually results in a nice square setup. Once they’re adjusted, you’re good to go. You only adjust them during initial setup.
The increments on the tape measure are too fine for my liking. The first foot is marked in 1/32’s, while the rest of the tape is marked in 1/16’s. The 1/16 scale is much easier to read. The tape is easy to install though, and accurate too. Tips for success: Tip #1: Use a little paste wax on the half-dovetail of the black rail and the fence will slide great.
Tip #2: Make a stop-block from a block of wood and a t-bolt with knurled knob. The Kreg swing-stop is great on crosscut sleds, but I find it too bulky for use on the bandsaw fence.

Overall I am quite pleased with the Kreg fence, and would choose it again in a heartbeat.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 05-29-2018 09:44 PM

Another great review! Thanks for sharing Willie. Much appreciated.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#2 posted 05-30-2018 01:41 AM

I’ve had one for several years on my 17” Grizzly. It is a very good fence. My only negative is that it’s too short for my table. I’d like it to stretch all the way to the end. It now ends about 8” from it. It’s the stock table not an add on.

#3 posted 05-30-2018 01:57 AM

Oh, yeah that sounds a little too short for your table. They sell longer fence channel if you wanted a custom length.
Might not be worth the effort.

#4 posted 05-30-2018 03:35 AM

I put it on my 14” rikon and it is great. I had to get creative mounting it so I could change blades without having to remove it but once that was done it is really solid

#5 posted 05-30-2018 05:06 AM

Yes, I understand Rikon bandsaws have an additional challenge because of the blade slot location. Care to post a picture of your solution? Thanks

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#6 posted 05-30-2018 04:39 PM

Willie – thanks for the review. I’m assuming the fence can be used to resaw as well? Believe it or not, I don’t have a fence on my bandsaw and this might just be the ticket. Plus, Kreg is an IA company so I would be supporting the local folks.

#7 posted 05-30-2018 04:59 PM

Hi Earl,
Yes the fence can be set in one of two orientations. Vertical for a taller fence, or horizontal for a very low profile fence. As accessories, Kreg sells reasonably priced resaw guides as well. Those come in two heights depending on your needs.

Cheers

View AM420's profile

AM420

#8 posted 05-30-2018 10:47 PM

Thanks for the review. I just got a 14” saw and looking for a fence. The Kreg fence seems to be one of a very limited selection of aftermarket fences I’ve come across, and it looks like I’ll be going with that.

#9 posted 05-31-2018 04:50 AM

- pintodeluxe

It might be a little hard to see but I used a piece of aluminum square tube to space out another piece of 1/2 aluminum bar stock that runs the full length of the fence and the bar stock is bolted with counter sunk bolts through the tube and into the two holes in the table then the fence is bolted to the bar stock …. it is super duper solid and the tube spaces everything out enough that blade changing is not a issue

hope that helps but if you have other questions feel free

#10 posted 05-31-2018 05:17 AM

Thanks for posting the details. Looks like a great solution.

#11 posted 05-31-2018 05:38 AM

Thanks for posting the details. Looks like a great solution.

- pintodeluxe

much better than the stock thing the Rikon came with and I really have come to like that the kreg can be flipped down and become very short to clear 45 degrees when the table is tilted. I have done lots of long 45 degree rips that way and it is a great solution. I hate tilting my table saw blade

View Commarato53's profile

Commarato53

#12 posted 06-05-2018 06:01 PM

I have two, one on a Mini Max S-45 and one on my Delta 14” band saw. I sold the Delta fence and replaced it with this on and it is far superior. Did the same on the Minimax, but had to order the longer fence section from Kreg. Very happy with both.

#13 posted 06-05-2018 07:26 PM

- Commarato53

Yeah, good idea on a longer fence for a really big bandsaw. Nice workaround.

View wrenchhead's profile

wrenchhead

#14 posted 06-11-2018 11:49 AM

I use this same fence on my Jet band saw and have been very happy with it. Great review!

-- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRuFxW8HhRfyhbTP4SY5UA I could quit if I wanted

View therealSteveN's profile

therealSteveN

#15 posted 06-15-2018 03:27 AM

I won a HF BS, and it came with the full line of Carter tension release, both their heavy saw guides, and the single one for fine blades. It also came with one of these fences. I never got around to setting up the fence, instead I was using a wooden fence, and c clamps. Well I finally got it out, and mine slips something fierce off the single lock down point. I roughed up the contacts, took it apart and changed out the hardware for quality stuff. I have to say it’s the first Kreg product I wan’t thrilled with.

I went back to the wooden fence. When I have more time I will try it again.

-- Think safe, be safe