Great Lathe for the money

Review by richgreer posted 1669 days ago 6752 views 4 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Lathe for the money No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A review of the Grizzly G0462 lathe was provided to this website about 10 months ago. I am sure that the author provided an honest assessment of his experiences with this lathe. However, my experiences have been different and I am providing a review based on my experiences with the same lathe.

If you simply review the specifications and features, I think anyone would agree that this is a lot of lathe for the money. I paid $475 for this lathe and, at the time, Grizzly was offering free shipping. If one were to buy a lathe from a “main line” manufacturer with comparable specifications and features I believe you would have to pay at least 3 times as much. That makes it a great bargain if, and only if, it is acceptable with respect to performance and dependability. For me, so far, it is.

I was impressed when I opened up the sturdy wooden shipping box and saw how securely everything was bolted in place inside the box. I had to remove 18 bolts and 4 plates of steel to get all of the components out of the box. There was no shipping damage.

I have used this lathe a lot in the 3 months and I have owned it. It has been virtually trouble free and I am quite satisfied with the performance.

A key issue with this lathe is the drive belt. The lathe uses a Reeves system for speed control and these systems are hard on belts. I think the original belt is a little weak and inadequate. I replaced the original belt with a General Utility V-belt from the local hardware with the code, 3L240. The “3” means 3/8 of an inch wide, the “L” refers to style and the “240” means 24 inches long. Relative to the original belt, this belt is a little wider, a little stronger, and a wee bit shorter. It works great.

As the belt wears out and stretches the lowest possible speed on the lathe increases. With the original belt, I reached the point that my lowest possible speed was 800 rpm. With the new belt, the lowest possible speed is 500 rpm. I also find that this belt reduces vibration to an almost unnoticeable level. It is too early to say, but I expect this belt to hold up much better than the original belt. Nonetheless, belt replacement will always be a part of routine maintenance if you have a Reeves speed control system.

Of course, most vibration on a lathe comes from large, out of balance, pieces of wood. I recently turned a heavy piece of Queens Wood that measured 6” x 6” x 14”. Before starting the lathe, I positioned the piece such that it was in virtually perfect balance. This lathe handled that piece well. I highly recommend that you bolt this lathe to the floor, especially if you are going to be turning some larger pieces.

Previously I used my old Shopsmith as my lathe. I really appreciate the additional weight and the additional power of this lathe. That 2 hp motor really makes a difference.

I have heard it said that the headstock and the tailstock are not in alignment. That is easily remedied. You should check alignment whenever you move the headstock. If it is out of alignment, it is a simple matter to release the headstock lock, align the headstock and retighten the headstock lock.

I’m always amazed and impressed by the simplicity of engineering in a Grizzly tool. Simplicity is a virtue. I can’t envision ever taking this lathe to a repair shop because everything is so easy to repair or replace and, of course, Grizzly customer service is great.

I know there are more expensive lathes and fancier lathes. This is perfectly adequate for me and you really cannot beat the price. It gets 4 stars from me and would have gotten 5 if the original belt was as good as the replacement I bought.

View BigBard's profile

BigBard

113 posts in 2017 days

Good Review, love grizzly stuff, enjoy that lathe!

-- Carolina Panther fan!

View Ecocandle's profile

Ecocandle

That was a really helpful review. Thanks.

-- Brian Meeks, http://extremelyaverage.com

View woodnut's profile

woodnut

This is a very timely review for me. I was looking at this lathe 4 day ago and almost bought it then, but I decided that I needed to do some more research before buying. Thanks for the review and glad you like the lathe, you may have just sold one for them.

-- F.Little

View peruturner's profile

peruturner

317 posts in 1965 days

That is a great lathe for the money,also see if you could add a raiser to it to make it 10_12” I will do that when I get me one, Im working out the shipment charges to south america,with a friend living in the USA,grizzly do not ship abroad

View Homers's profile

Homers

42 posts in 2012 days

I did quite a bit of research and shopping before purchasing my tools and I found Grizzly had a better price point and feature / function appeal almost every time. I’ve had their table saw, jointer, bandsaw, and drill press for years now and love every one of them. I’ve called Grizzly customer service a couple of times and they were top notch. I like them quite a bit.

-- Homers / Murphy, TX

richgreer

I just received my 2010 Grizzly Catalog and I see that the price on this lathe has gone up a little. Per the catalog it is now $525 and there is no mention of free shipping. IMHO – this is still a great deal.

View wchips's profile

wchips

HI richgreer. If you are having trouble with the belt on your lathe try a kevelar (spelling?) belt.They are sold in some farm supply stores.( Bomgaars ) they are one tough belt

-- wchips

View MauBow's profile

MauBow

55 posts in 2049 days

Great Review! I have the same lathe, my dad gave it to me after using it for 2 years. Other than the points you noted, belt wear and slowest speed, I love it! Now I want Grizz’s new 18” lathe…..

New 18in Griz

-- If it wasn't for misplacing things, my shop would never get cleaned up.

richgreer

I’m sure that 18 inch lathe is great but it crosses a line I don’t want to cross, 220 volt. I just don’t want to mess with 220 volt. Virtually ever major tool I own is at or close to the limit of what one can do with 110 volts.

View MauBow's profile

MauBow

55 posts in 2049 days

Rich, 220 would be a problem for me as well, I forgot it was 220. Oh well, if my dad upgrades again, I’d get a Jet 1640 1.5hp…that would do just fine too!

-- If it wasn't for misplacing things, my shop would never get cleaned up.

View jtpalmer's profile

jtpalmer

I bought one in November of 2009. By January 2010 I worried I’d made a bad decision. By May 2010 I knew I had and by June I decided to dump the thing asap! I’ve gone through multiple belts, two motor pulleys, on my 2nd tool rest—the “banjo,” I mean. Everything about it is cheap and inferior. The lastl straw was a 10 inch bowl I tried to turn. Every 30-45 seconds I had to stop and drag the whole machine back into place because it “walks” so badly. Now to their credit, the Grizzly customer service has been great and they have replaced parts so far for no charge. I’m just tired of fighting it! If anyone is considering one of these lathes I would telll them to RUN AWAY!

112001 posts in 2180 days

Hey Rich
It amazes me that a owner of a number Festools is willing to give Grizzly a try. Many times I find that folks that can afford higher end tools will not be open minded enough to try Grizzly tools. Is this the best money can buy ? No and your review reflects that, but it is a good value and does what you want it to. Thanks for your review. very well done.