Flatten your stones frequently

Review by gizmodyne posted 1700 days ago 1908 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Flatten your stones frequently Flatten your stones frequently No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We bought this three months ago on sale at Woodcraft. They go for $32 U.S.

Purpose: A flat reference surface to lap your water stones upon. Water stones sharpen quickly but wear quickly too. Therefore they need to flattened frequently, especially if you are sharpening a thick iron. At 2” the surface plate is thick enough to avoid deflecting under pressure.

To use: Soak wet-dry sandpaper (I like 100 grit), press it down. Lap away. You can also sharpen tools directly on the sandpaper/ plate for a variant of the scary sharp method. I have used it to lap my planes along the diagonal as well.

Cons: It is heavy!

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

112018 posts in 2211 days

thanks for the review

Good idea, Giz. Thanks for the tip.

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

You can also use one of these to accurately flatten the bottom of a hand plane.

View Webb's profile

Webb

46 posts in 1919 days

Works well for sharpening too – wet 600 grit metal sandpaper sticks well to it and a honing guide and you’re good to go – the large area works very fast. I love this thing and have mostly stopped using my stones.

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1922 days

thanks for the review, i went to a marble/granite custom counter shop i worked across the street from awhile back and they gave me a nice size piece of granite for free the only gripe was the edges. they didn’t finnish the edges the guy asked me if i wanted them finnished but i said it doesn’t matter so i got one with unfinnished edges about 2-1/2’ L x a little over a foot wide and about 2” thick. but i lap my stones on a synder block. i flatten my stones after use so next time i use them there flat always it’s good practice to get into. the granite i will flattem my planes on when i get time to. sorry for the rant.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View Matt Stauffer's profile

Matt Stauffer

I have the same type of granite stone and use it to flatten my waterstones as well. I don’t use any sandpaper on the stone to flatten them. Just rub the waterstone directly onto the smooth granite and it will make it’s own slurry and flatten the stone. I have been flattening my 800, 1000, 4000, and 8000 this way. I can’t flatten my 200 grit stone without sandpaper though. That granite stone is money well spent.

-- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. ~ John 5:24