Flatten your stones frequently

Review by gizmodyne posted 01-02-2010 07:02 AM 1914 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Flatten your stones frequently Flatten your stones frequently No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We bought this three months ago on sale at Woodcraft. They go for $32 U.S.

Purpose: A flat reference surface to lap your water stones upon. Water stones sharpen quickly but wear quickly too. Therefore they need to flattened frequently, especially if you are sharpening a thick iron. At 2” the surface plate is thick enough to avoid deflecting under pressure.

To use: Soak wet-dry sandpaper (I like 100 grit), press it down. Lap away. You can also sharpen tools directly on the sandpaper/ plate for a variant of the scary sharp method. I have used it to lap my planes along the diagonal as well.

Cons: It is heavy!

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

112082 posts in 2229 days

#1 posted 01-02-2010 07:06 AM

thanks for the review

#2 posted 01-02-2010 03:19 PM

Good idea, Giz. Thanks for the tip.

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#3 posted 01-02-2010 04:26 PM

You can also use one of these to accurately flatten the bottom of a hand plane.

View Webb's profile

Webb

46 posts in 1938 days

#4 posted 01-02-2010 08:07 PM

Works well for sharpening too – wet 600 grit metal sandpaper sticks well to it and a honing guide and you’re good to go – the large area works very fast. I love this thing and have mostly stopped using my stones.

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1941 days

#5 posted 01-02-2010 08:18 PM

thanks for the review, i went to a marble/granite custom counter shop i worked across the street from awhile back and they gave me a nice size piece of granite for free the only gripe was the edges. they didn’t finnish the edges the guy asked me if i wanted them finnished but i said it doesn’t matter so i got one with unfinnished edges about 2-1/2’ L x a little over a foot wide and about 2” thick. but i lap my stones on a synder block. i flatten my stones after use so next time i use them there flat always it’s good practice to get into. the granite i will flattem my planes on when i get time to. sorry for the rant.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View Matt Stauffer's profile

Matt Stauffer

#6 posted 01-12-2011 06:15 AM

I have the same type of granite stone and use it to flatten my waterstones as well. I don’t use any sandpaper on the stone to flatten them. Just rub the waterstone directly onto the smooth granite and it will make it’s own slurry and flatten the stone. I have been flattening my 800, 1000, 4000, and 8000 this way. I can’t flatten my 200 grit stone without sandpaper though. That granite stone is money well spent.

-- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. ~ John 5:24