Excellent Video Course from Richard Maguire

Review by Mr_Pink posted 05-13-2018 02:22 PM 380 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Video Course from Richard Maguire No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve always enjoyed Richard Maguire’s videos, and his English Hall Table series is a prime example of why. I’ve been building along with this series, and I’ve watched each of the videos multiple times. (I’ll post my table as a project in the next week or so.) Richard’s instruction is detailed, thoughtful and entertaining. He stands out in his willingness to talk about why he does what he does. The video production is also excellent.

As always, his focus is on building efficiently using minimal hand tools. The exception in this video is that he discusses cutting the legs out using a bandsaw and by hand, pointing out differences in how you approach each. Throughout the series, he talks about focusing on what matters and ignoring what doesn’t. He also makes some points about the usefulness of being on “the right side of wrong” (e.g., being slightly out of square) for hand-tool woodworkers that I had not heard before.

His decision to make the table legs tapered throughout their length, instead of being straight at the top, is interesting and typical of his approach. It allows the legs to be thicker at the top and makes them slightly easier to cut. More importantly in my mind, it gives him the opportunity to demonstrate that chopping mortises and cutting tenons with angled shoulders is no more complicated than with square joints.

Highly recommended.

View Mr_Pink's profile

Mr_Pink

1 comment so far

View BigMig's profile

BigMig

#1 posted 05-14-2018 05:07 PM

Thanks for posting; I’ll have to look up Richard Maguire.

-- Mike from Lansdowne, PA