New Grizzly G0457 Resaw Bandsaw

Review by michaelray posted 01-01-2010 03:16 PM 7935 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Grizzly G0457 Resaw Bandsaw New Grizzly G0457 Resaw Bandsaw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let me start by saying this is the first bandsaw I have ever owned and operated so I don’t have any past experiences to compare it to. I decided about 6-7 months ago my next major tool purchase had to be a bandsaw. Since that decision I’ve been reading and reviewing not to mention saving money. There were a couple deciding factors that led me to this model. Reviews – both by fellow LJ’s (thanks to you all) and to FWW magazine. Price – I took advantage of the latest pricing code found in Wood Magazine (expired 12/31/09) which saved me close to 200 bucks.

Here is what I can tell you:

- Ordering – This was a snap although to take advantage of the pricing code it had to be done over the phone. Very good customer service. I did order the additional lift gate service for 30.00 – more about that later.

- Delivery – Super fast. I had it within 3 business days (just in time for Christmas). The original carrier handed it off to another carrier which delivered it to my house. When the guy arrived he had NO lift gate on his truck! He was kind enough though to help me get it off of the truck and I wheeled it up the drive with my hand cart. I called Grizzly later and told them about it. Once they confirmed my story with the carrier they refunded my 30.00 pretty quick which will make me a repeat customer.

- Setup - Simple to follow instructions. Only took about an hour. I stuck with the prewired 220V which meant running a 220V circuit to the garage. Not a big deal and well worth it in my opinion.

- Use – What can I say, I love it. It’s new experience for me but it has already saved be tons of time on my next project since it involves identical parts that have curved cuts. I’ve also purchased a 3/4” resaw blade which I haven’t had the chance to use yet. I do have plans to put the resaw capabilities to good use in the future to hopefully save some money on lumber.

Thanks for looking.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#1 posted 01-01-2010 08:55 PM

Nice looking saw you got there, enjoy and stay safe…Blkcherry

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#2 posted 01-02-2010 03:05 AM

Looks like a nice saw. I am sure it will give you many years of service. Thanks for posting.

God bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

#3 posted 01-02-2010 04:28 AM

Great looking saw. Glad to see you had such a great experience with Grizzly.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

403 posts in 2081 days

#4 posted 01-02-2010 05:00 AM

You will love having a bandsaw glad your luck was better than mine with Grizzly they make good stuff but there shippers are meat heads in my area

-- Cosmicturner

#5 posted 01-02-2010 05:06 AM

congats on your new saw thanks for the review

View Xtreme90's profile

Xtreme90

#6 posted 01-02-2010 03:20 PM

Nice saw!! Glad to c ya choose grizz. :) oh ya, just like jeffrey said above don’t let shiping discourouge you if u ever had damage. , The shippers in my area are also meat heads with a fork lift.

-- "I don't cut wood. I machine it!" G.M. The wood machinest

#7 posted 01-03-2010 02:57 AM

Good thing I got it when I did. Just got the new 2010 Grizzly catalog today and the price went up about 30.00 bot including shipping.

View dmorgantx's profile

dmorgantx

#8 posted 01-03-2010 05:58 AM

I am so JEALOUS!! I’ve been wanting to order one of these too. Unfortunately no Christmas bonuses this year so it will have to wait until I can save up a bit. Great pictures- thanks for sharing and feel free to take and share more! :)

BTW- did you take these pictures with a wide angle lens? Just looks stouter than the other pics I’ve seen and I was wondering…

Thanks!

#9 posted 01-03-2010 04:03 PM

dmorgantx – No wide angle lens. They seemed a little skewed when I took the initial photos so I adjusted the perspective in Photo Shop.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#10 posted 01-03-2010 06:32 PM

The people over at Timber Wolf are having a deal on band saw blades, buy 3 get one free. I’ve used there blades for year and I’m quit satisfied with performance. Customer service will walk you though your needs for re-sawing blades. I believed the total cost was around 70 bucks with shipping compare to one wood slicer blade at 30 bucks not including shipping. I know the wood slicer is a great blade but for value I’ll stick with timber wolf. Enjoy you new saw and stay safe….Blkcherry

#11 posted 01-03-2010 10:19 PM

Thanks for the info Blkcherry. I’ve read quite a few posts on here mentioning the Timber Wolf blades. I’ll have to check it out.

View Monte McCoy's profile

Monte McCoy

#12 posted 01-05-2010 07:25 AM

I was seriously planning on buying a Grizzly bandsaw this coming weekend after payday until i saw the price jumped! very irritating because ive been saving for a long time to get this saw. Your lucky you got it when you did.

-- -- With the right tools and material you are only limited by your imagination--

View scrapjockey's profile

scrapjockey

#13 posted 01-28-2010 06:10 PM

I have purchased several Grizzly power tools including their 8” jointer. I have never had a problem with any of them until I purchased the G0457 Band Saw. This is my third band saw. I just sold my Delta 18” saw as it was simply more than I needed, and prior to that I had a Craftman band saw. My problem with this saw is two . First, the tension adjustment indicator is nowhere close. I can understand it being off somewhat, but this one is not even in the ball park. My Delta was right on. The second is the installation of the 3/4” blade. The upper hinge on the bottom door keeps the blade from fitting in the slot. In addition, I cannot get anywhere close to the tension indicated on the indicator. My first thoughts were that I purchased the wrong size blades but after checking the Grizzly catalogue, the 106” blade was appropriate.

There is chance here that I am a complete doofus and have done something wrong. As a matter of fact, I hope that is the case. Can someone out there give me some direction? Thank you.

-- Time is a patient predator.

#14 posted 01-29-2010 12:27 AM

Hey scrapjockey,

I put a 3/4” blade on mine recently and lifted the doors off the hinges to put it on. Only took about 5 minutes. I had more trouble getting it in to the slot betweek the lower guide bearings.

The tension setting on mine seems to be pretty much in line with the indicator. Did you try contacting customer service or looking though the manual for troubleshooting? Don’t have mine in front of me so I can’t remember if it has anything about troubleshooting the tension. It’s possible it didn’t get adjusted properly in the factory.

View scrapjockey's profile

scrapjockey

#15 posted 01-29-2010 12:38 AM

Hi Michaelray, Didn’t think about removing the door, but at least your solution lets me know I am not alone. I did indeed check the troubleshooting section of the manual and it was silent on this issue. When I was having problems installing the 3/4” blade I called Tech Service and while being attentive, said they had not heard of this problem. He said he would have their tech people look into it. I also had major problems fitting the blade thru the lower guide bearings, but managed it. Blade changing on my Delta and my Chraftman was a breeze which makes me think I am not entirely the problem.

Did you do the “blade fluttering” tension adjustment as called out in the manual? No matter how loose I set the tension adjustment, I could not determine if my blade was “fluttering” or not. This may be one of the “relative” things as there was nothing obvious to me. Good idea about contacting tech service again about the tension issue.

Thank you for your thoughts and let me know if you were able to determine blade fluttering.

-- Time is a patient predator.