Excellent Spray Gun at a Reasonable Price

Review by Rich posted 05-09-2018 09:35 PM 1054 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Spray Gun at a Reasonable Price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was looking around for a gravity gun for my older Fuji Q4. The siphon gun that came with it performs well, but I wanted something that I could use when spraying smaller projects. The prices of around $300 for a Fuji or Apollo gun were higher than I wanted to pay. Given the number of less expensive HVLP systems out there, I hoped I could find one that sold the gun separately, and maybe they do, but I didn’t see any options for that on their web sites.

I was close to giving up and just paying the higher price for an Apollo or Fuji when I came across the Sprayfine. After exchanging a couple of emails with the owner, Phil, I decided to give it a try. The gun is available directly from the Turbine Products web site, eBay and Amazon. I went with Amazon since I knew the return would be easiest if I didn’t like it, and also the shipping is a couple of dollars less from them too.

The gun arrived in three days. I was impressed with the fit and finish. It looked like a quality gun all around. The air connector was a bit longer than my older Fuji gun (standards changed maybe), but Phil had included a new quick connect that screwed onto the air hose and accommodated the gun’s connector.

I’ve had the gun a few weeks now and am ready to report that it is a flawless performer. I’ve sprayed shellac, water based dye, waterborne urethane and lacquer without a hitch.

A full range of accessories is also available from Turbine Products, including needle sets from 1.0mm to 2.2mm (the gun ships with a 1.3mm tip). They also sell conversion kits to turn your siphon gun into a gravity gun.

If I had to find something to criticize about the gun it would be that the spring plate and spring are two separate pieces, and the spring plate sits proud of the mouth of the gun body making it challenging to get the air cap and air cap ring installed while ensuring the alignment tab on the spring plate is aligned with the notch in the gun body. If that’s the worst I can find, I’d say that’s pretty good.

At the time of this review, the gun sells for $129 plus shipping and is worth every penny.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 05-10-2018 05:05 PM

Nice looking setup

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#2 posted 05-11-2018 02:41 AM

How is the cleaning process? Long and drawn out or fairly simple?

#3 posted 05-11-2018 04:03 AM

Cleaning it is pretty simple. It included the wrench for the nozzle, which you can get off with a crescent wrench, but it’s a nice touch to the overall package that they toss it in.

For the first step of cleaning the cup, the lid to the cup clamps down like a siphon gun does, so it’s tighter than the usual screw-on that you find on a gravity feed gun. That means you can pour some solvent (acetone, mineral spirits, water — whatever is appropriate for what you’ve sprayed) in there, give it a good shake and get it cleaned out.

The way I clean is to then pour in more solvent and spray until it’s spent.

For lacquer, I typically stop there. Other denser things like waterborne poly or Arm-R-Seal can stick to the needle and I like to remove the nozzle, unscrew the adjustment knob on the back to remove the needle and wipe all of that down. Finally, I clean the air cap and make sure the air holes are clear. It’s pretty much a piece of cake.

One note: with waterborne poly, I like to flush the gun under running water while it’s disassembled since that stuff is milky and can build up.

I have found a couple of times that one or two of the air holes in the air cap were blocked because I left the gun sitting all day while I sprayed waterborne poly and it dried in there. I probably could have soaked it and blasted it with compressed air, but it turns out that a number 75 drill bit fits perfectly and punches any clog right out.

#4 posted 05-12-2018 02:58 AM

One note: with waterborne poly, I like to flush the gun under running water while it s disassembled since that stuff is milky and can build up.

- Rich

Thanks for the info. I use a critter for small quick work, a older model craftsman for larger work. Once left some paint in the critter and sprayed on and off for a few hours. It dried solid! Spent some time cleaning that mess up.

#5 posted 05-12-2018 03:37 AM

- woodbutcherbynight

Loved my Critter. I had forgotten about them and may have to buy another. It’s so cool to be able to keep mason jars of dyes ready to go and easy cleanup in between.

#6 posted 05-13-2018 03:21 AM

- woodbutcherbynight

Loved my Critter. I had forgotten about them and may have to buy another. It s so cool to be able to keep mason jars of dyes ready to go and easy cleanup in between.

- Rich

Bearpaw told me about the Critter years ago, a great tool for small work and as you said mason jars for dyes and such.

View Tango's profile

Tango

#7 posted 06-06-2018 01:25 AM

I’m looking for a gravity fed small gun for my Fuji Semi Pro 2. Will this gun work ?

#8 posted 06-06-2018 01:45 AM

I m looking for a gravity fed small gun for my Fuji Semi Pro 2. Will this gun work ?

- Tango

Yes, it’ll work with any turbine HVLP system. Besides the gun I reviewed they sell a finer touch-up gun. You can find more info at turbineproducts.com.

If you have any questions, email Phil (service@turbineproducts.com).