Surprisingly Simple

Review by pintodeluxe posted 05-01-2018 04:11 PM 1352 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Surprisingly Simple No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This style of freestanding template jig has been around for a long time, but this one focuses on box joints. You can make 1/2” or 3/4” box joints, and the kit comes with just about everything you need. Just add an MDF fence, and you’re off to the races.

Chuck the included router bit in your router, and install the eBush, then rout your first workpiece. Then flip the little green tab and rout the mating workpiece. The offset is automatic!

I started with the eBush set at “5”, and made one minor adjustment to “4.5” and the joints have fit perfectly ever since. Compared to a tablesaw based box joint jig, the beehive jig benefits from almost no tearout. The Leigh bit is extremely sharp and well made, and the MDF fence prevents any tearout on the back.

I have 4 or 5 other router-based box joint jigs, as well as a tablesaw based jig. I will say this is the easiest to setup and produce snug-fitting joints. Plus it comes at a much lower price point than some of my other jigs. The one negative point is there is no dust collection available. If you’re willing to let the chips fly, this jig really does the trick.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

#1 posted 05-01-2018 10:06 PM

Good review…..Thanks for the info !

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

#2 posted 05-02-2018 01:51 AM

Awesome jig

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View KTNC's profile

KTNC

#3 posted 05-02-2018 03:47 AM

Thanks for your review.

View Arcola60's profile

Arcola60

#4 posted 05-02-2018 05:32 AM

Thanks for the review. I have purchased the Jig, also. I have not had a chance to set it up yet. Moving has caused some shop setup issues.

#5 posted 05-02-2018 06:03 AM

- Arcola60

I think you’ll like the beehive jig. Setup was quite easy.
Good luck setting up shop!

View Albert's profile

Albert

#6 posted 05-02-2018 02:48 PM

Thanks Neighbor, I think I might have to get one of these!

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#7 posted 05-02-2018 04:01 PM

I wonder if you could use a setup like this on a router table…..

Hmmmmmm….

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#8 posted 05-02-2018 04:03 PM

I wonder if you could use a setup like this on a router table…..

Hmmmmmm….

- Mainiac Matt

Yes, you sure can. You just need a router table insert that accepts standard P.C. style guide bushings.