Happy, after some difficulties

Review by Pixxture posted 05-01-2018 01:42 PM 915 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Happy, after some difficulties No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Had some difficulty obtaining the saw from UPS freight, Grizzly’s chosen freight provider, at least in my area. UPS could not deliver because:
Day 1: I could not be home from 7:30 to 6:00 waiting for delivery, I had to be out for 3 hours that day.
Day 2. It was snowing
Day 3. It might snow
Day 4. Tailgate broken
Day 5. Turbos on truck broken
Finally the saw was delivered. As difficult as UPS freight is to deal with their drivers are TERRIFIC. I gave the driver a hefty tip for rolling it into the garage.

Since i was recovering from an operation i had to let my wife gently wrestle the 500 lb saw off the double high pallet ( NO! I never argue with her).

Assembly was fairly easy, the manualy is mostly well written. The worst part is the riving knife adjustments, manual and adjustment methodloogy could be clearer and more straight forward.

As everyone before has mentioned the 6 ft cord supplied is ridiculously short. I am using a 12ga extension cord, even though the manual states “not to”. How you could run this in a production shop with a 6 ft cord is a mystery. Another mystery is why Grizzly recommends using White Lithium grease fot the trunion, dry lube would seem better as it would not attract and hold as much saw dust.

As delivered, all the boxes were in good condition, however the fence had a broken nylon slider and was bent. It was bent significantly enough that the closest i could adjust it parallel to the blade was .1” (yup, a tenth of an inch). Another 10 days and i had a new fence from grizzly. It worked fine. So, a month after paying for the saw i had a working saw. The photo shows the bow at the top of the fence.

It passes the nickel test 3 out of 4 times.

There are a few minor irritating things on the saw.
1. There is not a good place to hang the miter gauge.
2. As others have mentioned the dust collection builds up inside the cabinet. There is always a 2 or 3 inch layer of saw dust inside of it. No big deal, i just don’t like it.
3. The ON/OFF switch sticks out too much in the front. In the middle of a cut I keep hitting the OFF button with my leg and turning the saw OFF. I will have to slightly modify the switch location, most likely by moving it slightly to the rear of the saw.

This saw replaces a small Dewalt contractor saw that gave many good years of service. I absolutely LOVE the way this new saw cuts, no burning, large table, good miter gauge (at least a lot better than my old saw) and plenty of power.

I gave 4 stars instead of 5 because of initial delivery and quality issues.

View Pixxture's profile

Pixxture

View Andre's profile

Andre

#1 posted 05-02-2018 05:04 AM

I think if my old Delta ever disappoints me the Gizz’s will likely get my business!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

#2 posted 05-10-2018 09:47 PM

I have some Grizzly things that I like well.

I have been in the WA store and could have spent most of a day there. FANTASTIC selection.

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#3 posted 05-11-2018 12:02 AM

In a commercial or industrial setting you’d bring the power to the machines a vast majority of the time and not use cords.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Pixxture's profile

Pixxture

#4 posted 05-11-2018 01:26 AM

Thanks “The fridge” for the input. But that gets me wondering. What then is the difference between running a wire to the machine and an extension cord? Ok it is the two connected ends on the extension cord. The machine (full load) draws approx 13 amps. If each connection end has .1 or .2 ohms resistance the voltage drop would only be (.2 ohm X 13amp X 2 connections=5.2v) 5.2 V more than just a wire. Would that really hurt a motor?
There must be that much supplier variation installation to installation. I wondering enough to have to measure the voltage drop in my extension cord.

If I am getting off topic please let me know.