POS Stapler

Review by lew posted 12-28-2009 10:39 PM 5451 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
POS Stapler No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

About a year ago, I purchased the Stanley TRE550 Electric Stapler. I know it wasn’t the most expensive stapler on the market and I didn’t expect it to be the “end all” of electric staplers. I used it once to make the child’s rocker which probably required driving 150 1/4” staples into oak. It didn’t have great power but then, I didn’t expect it to be a muscle machine and I could live with tapping in the unset staples.

Now picture this, I am 30 some feet back in the attic, balanced on ceiling joist, putting up insulation. I have two, seven foot pieces stapled up and the &%#$$$^&*09[]{}|\!#$)(&^%!@#$%^& POS quit working!!!! I couldn’t have driven more than 50 staples all together- and not all at once to even cause over heating!!!!

Too bad my buddy is no longer the Stanley Bostitch representative or he would get an earful.

Sorry to vent.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View lew's profile

lew

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

#1 posted 12-28-2009 11:13 PM

I have the same stapler…used it for putting up insulation in my garage. While it works pretty decent for me, I think I should have spent a little more and gotten a pneumatic one instead.

-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.

View RedShirt013's profile

RedShirt013

#2 posted 12-28-2009 11:39 PM

If you haven’t already, make sure you use the shortest length of extension cord possible. I have something similar, and it works reasonably well if you plug its cord stright into an outlet. But once I tried using it for tar paper, and with 50’ of 16 gauge extension cord it didn’t even sink 1/8” into OSB. Better but still not tha good when I tried 25’ of 12 gauge cord. There is a reason why the cords on these electric nailers are always super short.

-- Ed

#3 posted 12-28-2009 11:46 PM

I’ve never had good luck with electric staplers. I’ve got a couple of Air ones and they really drill it into the wood.

View Mark's profile

Mark

1787 posts in 1928 days

#4 posted 12-29-2009 12:06 AM

i just use thye same ol manual hammer stapler. quicker and never fail.

-- My purpose in life: Making sawdust

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

#5 posted 12-29-2009 12:34 AM

Yep…another example of the superiority of capitalism. I have it’s air powered brother it is a “craftsman” POS. Capable a holding staples up to 1 1/4’ in length…and of shooting 3/4” staples all the way into a cardboard box. Brandnames mean nothing anymore.

View cmckerliesr's profile

cmckerliesr

82 posts in 2099 days

#6 posted 12-29-2009 01:39 AM

You are better than me. I had the same stapler and it just quit working after a couple of weeks. I sent it back, and after a few months I finally got it back. I put it to work immediately and it lasted about 20 min. So then, I broke out my official US Army Vocabulary and let it know what I thought of it.

After using it as a manual hammer…..well lets just say I do not think even Stanley will repair it again.

-- The Man in the Can, Craig M. North Carolina

View Tom O'Brien's profile

Tom O'Brien

#7 posted 12-29-2009 03:07 AM

RedShirt013 raises a good point. The manufacturer will recommend the gauge for various lengths of extension cord. If you stay within those parameters, and use a heavy enough extension cord, you won’t have too much voltage drop along the cord, and the stapler will operate within specifications. I personally prefer an air stapler for most situations.

-- Every project is a learning opportunity, every error a design opportunity

View nailbanger2's profile

nailbanger2

#8 posted 12-29-2009 03:15 AM

Hmmmmmmm, an electric cord, or an air hose trailing behind you in an attic. Yup, it’s a slap-hammer for me. or a manual, whatever you have. It doesn’t take that much to go through the brown paper. For that matter, I’ve used masking tape! Of course I immediately hung drywall afterward. More power was a good rallying cry for Tim Taylor, but sometimes…..

-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew

View steveosshop's profile

steveosshop

#9 posted 12-29-2009 03:49 AM

They just don’t make tools to last anymore…...Well, atleast my recent luck with newer stanley products.

-- Steve-o

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

403 posts in 2049 days

#10 posted 12-29-2009 09:21 AM

It is a POS I had an old Aroow from the 70’s it bit the dust a while back I have bought and retuned several in fact gave up it seems they do not make a working elec stapler…sad things should be getting better you would think…if anyone knows of a good one I would like to know

-- Cosmicturner

View firecaster's profile

firecaster

557 posts in 2072 days

#11 posted 12-29-2009 05:04 PM

Jeffrey,
I have an old Arrow electric also. It works well. Will drive long staples into soft wood. It’s sad that tools built today aren’t as good as the older ones.

-- Father of two sons. Both Eagle Scouts.

View Mark's profile

Mark

1787 posts in 1928 days

#12 posted 12-30-2009 01:46 AM

Might i ask why people would use electric staplers at all? i’ve never had any specific reason to have one

-- My purpose in life: Making sawdust

View lew's profile

lew

#13 posted 12-30-2009 03:26 AM

Some have questioned the wisdom of an electric stapler. Actually, I have a pneumatic PC narrow crown stapler. Unfortunately the minimum staple length is 1/2” and the child’s rocker, I made, needed staples of 1/4” or less. My old manual Swingline stapler would not drive the staples into the Oak seat/back boards. Also, going Neanderthal on the upholstery of the seat and back using my slap stapler just didn’t the thing “Norm” would do. Thus the purchase of the electric one.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Edward E Nock II's profile

Edward E Nock II

#14 posted 12-30-2009 05:02 PM

LEW>>>>Such language!!!! I never heard. Been there , done that.

ED

-- ED NOCK

View PASs's profile

PASs

#15 posted 01-01-2010 03:40 AM

Why electric….cause I can’t seem to grip the arrow stapler good enough anymore. Carpel tunnel is nooooo fun. I got an electric POJ about a year and a half ago. I’d take it back but I don’t think Home Depot would take back a two year old electric tool. Been thinking about an air powered. Could set the pancake down the attic access hole I guess. But there’s an electric outlet in the attic, so electric stapler is slightly easier.

-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."