Who needs a lift?

Review by CharlieM1958 posted 2385 days ago 4274 views 3 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Who needs a lift? Who needs a lift? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After starting a forum topic recently to solicit opinions about what type of variable-speed router I should buy to leave mounted in my table for the most part, I eventually decided to go with the Trtion MOF001KC 2 1/4 HP plunge router. I thought hard about going with a more powerful motor, but I decided that my needs at the present time just didn’t justify it. If I decide I need something bigger later on, I figured the 2 1/4 would still be a dandy machine to have around for handheld work.

The main factors in choosing this particular model were the excellent reviews it has received (top rated in its class by Fine Woodworking magazine), and the convenience of above-the table bit changes. I purchased it through Amazon for $199, which included free shipping. It came with an edge-guide/circle cutting attachment (haven’t figured that out yet), and complete set of guide bushings, in a heavy-duty plastic case.

I unpacked everything this morning, and saw right away that it was not going to mount on my little old Ryobi table without some modifications. I had to drill a new set of holes in the table, and go to the hardware store for some slightly longer 1/4-20 machine screws than the ones that come with the router. I also had to drill a hole for the winder attachment to raise and lower the router. None of this proved to be any big deal, and I was up and running pretty quickly.

I immediately proceeded to fall in love with this router! Everything works exactly as advertised. It runs very smoothly at all speeds, and is quieter than my little PC690. But the thing that really makes my heart flutter is how easy it is to crank this sucker up and change the bit above the table, with one wrench, in seconds. The winder also moves the router in small enough increments to allow very accurate height adjustments. The only slight downside is a safety feature that requires you to reach under the table and flip the power switch off in order to be able to crank the router up all the way. This is really not a big issue at all, becausae the switch is large and easy to locate by touch.

I have wanted a router lift for a long time, but was put off by the cost. This router allows me to cross that lift off my wish list and start thinking about what other tools I can buy with those dollars. I’m totally impressed with the ease of operation, and the quality of construction on this tool.

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

ok charlie , does the wife know you have this ??? lol nice review , glad your happy with it . im hearing so much about this unit i may have to get one

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

See Charlie, I told ya so. Great product!
Enjoy the heck out of it!

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

CharlieM1958

There is much to be said for dual incomes and seperate checkbooks!

View MinnesotaMick's profile

MinnesotaMick

Now to replace the ity-bity table….

I agree with MinnesotaMick with this router now you can justify building a table.

This is a nice router. I am sure you will be happy with its performance. Now that you have a bigger router how’s the budget for more router bits?

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Nice review Charlie.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Nice Charlie – I like that router. Good review.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

Good to hear that the pundits got it right about this tool. I will be getting one in the near future. Enjoy, Charlie!

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I was thinking about that Porter Cable 3 1/4 HP router, but maybe I won’t have to go that big. Thanks for the review.

CharlieM1958

From what I’ve seen, rikkor, the Trton has the edge in convenience, but the big PC would probably be just the ticket if you were planning to do a lot of raised panels or similarly demanding work.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

You made a wise purchase Charlie, I bought the larger Triton, but I think I could have gotten by with the 2 1/4 HP.

You should check out about having to turn off the switch before raising for bit change.

On mine, the switch automatically locks for safety, when you raise it for bit changing.

You’d think they’d have the same feature on yours.

When you compare Triton with the other brands, I think Triton is a Rolls Royce.

CharlieM1958

After reading your comment, Dick, I went back and double-checked. I guess the two ARE a little different, because mine definitely does have to be switched off becore it can be cranked up fully. Then, once it is all the way up, the switch is locked out until you lower the bit some. I reread the instructions, and that is how it is supposed to work.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

Sorry, but you were right all along Charlie.

Mine is the same as yours.

I spoke to soon, because now I remember the first time I tried changing bits,

the shaft wouldn’t lock up until I turned the switch to off.

I have an auxiliary switch too.

View toyguy's profile

toyguy

Nice review, and I couldn’t agree with you more. I also have bought the 2 1/4 hp Triton recently. I didn’t have a table to put it in but I am just about done one now. In fact, I just made a couple of trial cuts with it. Now just to finish off the storage cabinets. The above table bit adjustment and changing is what sold me as well. I just can’t believe how simple it is to use. I think this is a winner for sure.

-- Brian, Ontario Canada,

View Jim Brown's profile

Jim Brown

The switch/collet lock means you have to reach under the table when you change bits, which disappointed me a little, but it’s a safety feature and I won’t argue with that. This router lives in my table and I couldn’t be happier with it.