Scissor Table

Review by ND2ELK posted 12-28-2009 12:36 AM 3612 views 8 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Scissor Table Scissor Table Scissor Table Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a H-1485 U-Line standard Scissor Table. The table is 18 X 27 and has a 330 pound weight limit. They have bigger units that hold more weight. Because my shop is so small I had to figure out a way to store my sanders but be able to get them out when needed. When I saw this scissor table, I knew it would do the trick. I built the platforms out of 2 X 12’s for the legs and 3/4” fir plywood for the tops, all trimmed in 4/4 oak. I gave the platforms two coats of Watco Oil. I can raise the sanders to my work table height to support longer boards. The scissor table works great and I would reccommend it.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#1 posted 12-28-2009 12:45 AM

Tom you’re driving me sick what all of your tricks for a smaller shop can you send me where you got it, it maybe just what I need if I ever get back to woodworking…..Thanks buddy

My shop is way smaller than yours , yours is a large shop compare to mine.

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#2 posted 12-28-2009 12:46 AM

TOM I bought a hospital bed with all the bells and whistles and cut it down to size. I have it out of commision at the moment because it takes up of room even cut down.Anyway it rises with the aid of one foot control and drops too wheels around great and is just the job for a workbench base I like yours too as it is smaller and more convenient for the job it does..God Bless Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

#3 posted 12-28-2009 12:54 AM

great idea your shop looks very nice I get lots of ideas from all my friends on this site…Thanks LJ’S

-- Cosmicturner

View Richard Williams's profile

Richard Williams

#4 posted 12-28-2009 12:55 AM

Good Idea my friend. They can come in might handy for many things. Tight quarters reminds me when our Commanding Officer ordered me aboard a submarine to show the Navy that we could be at home below the surface too. Not something I liked to do but I did it. It was a WW 2 sub that was diesel driven and not a nuclear driven one. Big difference in space and comfort. Do be careful when you are working in there but I will say that you have maximized your space to the best advantage. Bye.

-- Rich, Nevada,

#5 posted 12-28-2009 12:56 AM

Thanks Tom I just found a place where to get them in Canada here. It is called U Line.

View Taigert's profile

Taigert

#6 posted 12-28-2009 02:09 AM

Tom,
I have been thinking about one of these lifts for a few years now. I just haven’t had the extra coin for one. But the idea about using a hospital bed may work out well.
I live 15 miles from where 90% of the hospital beds in the world are made. Next time your in a hospital look for the name Hill-Rom. They are also the worlds largest maker of Caskets as well, that company is Hilldebrand Industries. Their are a couple of companies around here that rebuild old beds and resell them to nursing homes and such. So I’ll have to check into that idea.

Taigert

-- Taigert - Milan, IN

View Chris Cunanan's profile

Chris Cunanan

#7 posted 12-28-2009 03:11 AM

where’d you buy and how much? cheapest i was finding with a quick search was like $500!

View FJPetruso's profile

FJPetruso

#8 posted 12-28-2009 03:25 AM

Cool idea for shop tools that get used less frequently. It looks like it frees up shop space.

-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"

View papadan's profile

papadan

#9 posted 12-28-2009 03:30 AM

$300 from U-Line http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1485/Lift-Tables/27-x-18-330-lb-Standard-Lift-Table

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

#10 posted 12-28-2009 03:34 AM

I’ve had mine for a number of years it was on sale at an auto parts store for $ 139. I think HF sells them too.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#11 posted 12-28-2009 03:35 AM

Thats a great idea!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#12 posted 12-28-2009 04:36 AM

$300 is the cheapest I have found. papadan has posted the web site for anyone that is interested.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

#13 posted 12-28-2009 04:50 AM

500 Lb. Capacity Hydraulic Lift Table

From HF quality may not be the same, at $179.99??

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#14 posted 12-28-2009 05:02 AM

I don’t know about HF but if the quality is good then why not, but Grizzly also carries something comparable for I think around 140.00 or 150.00 plus doing a quick search it looks like Northern Tool has one on sale for 139.00 that claims a 500 lb limit. I have thought of this tool scissor table for a long time since we are currently starved for space and it would work well with our DW 735 which gets a fair amount of use but really does not have a good place to leave set up. I am very glad you showed your current set up because I might be able to incorporate your idea somehow.

-- Jerry Nettrour, San Antonio, www.topqualitycabinets.net

#15 posted 12-28-2009 05:10 AM

Thanks to Tom who gave us an idea, again thank you buddy.