Plans for The Morley Mortiser

Review by Rich posted 04-14-2018 08:34 PM 1397 views 2 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Plans for The Morley Mortiser Plans for The Morley Mortiser No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been looking around for ideas for a mortising jig for the router. Most of what I’ve found up to this point is pretty makeshift, either using the edge guide for the router with some stops, or requiring different jigs for each size.

I first came across Philip Morley’s web site when I was researching Krenov-style saw horses. Philip is the product of a London trade school and two apprenticeships under master furniture makers. As a result, his work is impeccable. It’s a joy to watch how systematically he works.

When I saw his plans for his Morley Mortiser, I realized it was exactly what I was looking for. It combines many of the features of expensive commercial jigs, but with a price tag that fits any budget. I rarely — no, make that never — work from plans, and while I’m sure I could have copied the idea, I thought a set of plans with all of the details figured out would save me a lot of time. I downloaded a set of free plans from his site for another project and saw what good quality Philip’s plans provided, so I ordered the plans for the mortiser.

The plans are very thorough and the quality is excellent. My mortiser came out beautifully and I’ll be getting a lot of use out of it for a long time to come.

If you’re looking for a mortising jig for your router, head on over to Philip’s site and purchase a set. You can watch his video to see how versatile and easy to use his design is. At the time of this writing, the plans are only $9.50, so you won’t break the bank.

I also posted a project for my build of the Morley Mortiser: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/374121

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View Rich's profile

Rich

View Fiddy's profile

Fiddy

#1 posted 04-17-2018 12:37 PM

Pretty neat project – definitely some savings over various jigs out there. Thanks for posting.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#2 posted 04-17-2018 09:46 PM

I’m intrigued! Now I want to build one for myself, of course…

-- Pete