Almost perfect handheld CNC

Review by dschlic1 posted 04-10-2018 06:41 PM 1853 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Almost perfect handheld CNC Almost perfect handheld CNC No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

You can find more information here.

These are still on pre-order/fulfillment. I received mine and have been learning to use it. I do not have space in mu shop for a table/gantry style CNC machine, however I want to be able to do CNC type cuts. The Shaper Origin seems to be a (nearly) perfect solution. I have also included an example of my most recent project. This CNC is not a full 3D unit, at most it is 2.5D.

Pros:
Small compact unit, stores away in a systainer. When used correctly the unit is accurate. Simple SVG graphics files for the cut patterns, no need for G-Code. Active developer that is very responsive to users comments.

Cons:
There is a learning curve, not quite as easy to use as the videos would lead one to believe. The SVG file can sometimes be challenging to create correctly. Firmware still has some bugs.

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#1 posted 04-10-2018 10:47 PM

I had heard that the tape is now $20.00 a roll is that true?

#2 posted 04-11-2018 04:50 PM

Tape is $18 a roll. I am building and using jigs which allows me to keep using the same tape over and over.

View htl's profile

htl

#3 posted 04-12-2018 01:49 AM

This looks like one interesting tool, with many uses.

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs here on Lumber Jocks.. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 04-12-2018 12:19 PM

Extremely interesting for people who do not have the space for a full sized CNC. Seems like the limits are only the tape, looking at the one video where the father and son build the soap box.

On the other hand, $2399 is a lot for a unit that is basically a router with a computer attached. Bit rich for me. But I can see them selling a boatload of these.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 04-12-2018 01:49 PM

Looks like a fun tool…. I suspect that there is actually G-code being used, it’s just generated automatically for you… as it often is in custom front end software…. which is a sign of good software.

My heart breaks for whoever lost their son at 15. A prayer for healing and comfort to them.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#6 posted 04-12-2018 05:24 PM

It is a unique tool and not for everyone. I do not have space for any type of flat bed CNC machine, this one packs up into a small case that fits under my bench.

The Origin uses svg files which are scalable vector graphics. The machine follows the vectors in the file, so no G-code and no depth information.

View rizzo's profile

rizzo

#7 posted 04-13-2018 04:40 PM

Cool to see this product make it to market and perform well. I’m not a buyer as I have a regular CNC in my shop, but it is awesome to see the void (of space constraints) being filled.

I can’t imagine going back to NOT having a CNC now. The precision that it is capable of and the benefits that it has provided me in my woodworking have been amazing.

So much fun (and so easy) to knock out jigs and create “one off” fixtures for projects.

Congrats on your new tool!

View Ottacat's profile (online now)

Ottacat

489 posts in 1968 days

#8 posted 04-15-2018 03:13 PM

Thanks for the review. This looks like it could be game changing product if it gathers momentum. Most home woodworkers simply don’t have the space for a regular CNC setup.

#9 posted 04-16-2018 07:05 PM

Here is a link to a forum thread about a rather unique project that would be difficult to do without the Shaper Origin: