Wanted a Workmate 425, but this is what was available locally...

Review by Holt posted 04-05-2018 07:27 PM 1745 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wanted a Workmate 425, but this is what was available locally... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After loosing some tools and what not in a fire, i was left needing a portable work bench. My plan was to buy another Workmate 425 to replace my lost one, but there were none to be had locally. While looking for something similar i found these Kreg units at Lowe’s. The price was a little higher than the Workmate and they had no integrated vise, but they do support various Kreg clamping systems (the package includes one Kreg Bench Clamp). The system also provides a method of hooking two tables together to make a larger unit…so i bought two of them.

The coupling mechanism to hook multiple tables together is a little finicky, but i got it to work eventually. Definitely has more surface space that a Workmate, it’s a bit lighter, and it is much more versatile.

When you raise both wings, the top isn’t completely flat, it definitely peaks a little in the middle. So far, i haven’t had that cause any real world problems. It may be possible to tweak the outrigger supports a bit to get it level.

Haven’t used them yet, but the unit includes “ears” that can be clicked into either side. If you have two tables, those ears will support a piece of 2x material allowing you to work out a cutting table for sheet goods.

The tables are setup to handle Kreg dogs and includes 4 dogs with each table. Works as you would expect and made cutting down 2x material easy. The “shelf” underneath leaves a nice spot to keep your drill and/or saw out the way but handy while you setup material for your next operation.

I miss the vise from a Workmate. Haven’t tried it yet, but I may can get most of that functionality by dropping one wing and using the bench clamps in a dog hole (well maybe not these clamps…)

View MKH's profile

MKH

#1 posted 04-05-2018 08:31 PM

I didn’t know they still made the Workmate as I haven’t seen one in years. Still have some of the bench dogs from mine that won’t fit anything else.

I wanted one of the Kregs so I did some research a few month ago. They seem pretty good but i found several cautions about them pinching your hand when folding them up. Just be careful and pay attention – same as with any tool.

-- Marshall --------------------------- In with 10. Out with 10.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#2 posted 04-06-2018 12:32 PM

Once the Workmate went away, I realized what a mistake I made in getting rid of mine. I owned not only the free standing one, but the very rare benchtop model – don’t know why I ever got rid of that.

I went to off brand ones, finding one at a HF that was not too bad, and two others in some liquidator that I stopped into one day. None of them match what the Workmate would do, those bench dogs were invaluable. I too have one or two of those dogs still bouncing around in one of my tool bins.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

#3 posted 04-06-2018 03:40 PM

I still have one WM 425. I bought replacement tables for it from EReplacment years ago and have them in storage someplace. Guess i need to find all that stuff and get it going again.

View jerkylips's profile

jerkylips

#4 posted 04-06-2018 04:18 PM

Not sure why the comments about the workmate going away. I just got one about a month ago (free, actually – the gift I chose as my 15 year work anniversary gift). They also appear to be on homedepot.com, though.

Otherwise, I have seen several of them on Craigslist, locally..

Workmate+

#5 posted 04-06-2018 04:21 PM

I see them on Amazon too, but many of the poor reviews are from folks that had older models commenting that the newer ones are poorly made and/or flimsy. Seems like there is a 425 listed that says there is a newer model (can still get from other sellers) and a currently available 425-A. Wonder if the non ”-A” units are like my older one?

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#6 posted 04-08-2018 10:58 PM

I have one of the 225s and a couple of the older grey ones (I don’t know the model numbers). Wouldn’t sell them for anything as they are just too handy. But the Kreg looks like it has functionality the Workmate doesn’t so enjoy it.

View pmayer's profile

pmayer

#7 posted 04-12-2018 08:33 PM

I’ve got one of these and absolutely love it. I actually think they are worth a lot more than the selling price.

-- PaulMayer, http://www.vernswoodgoods.com

#8 posted 04-15-2018 12:55 AM

After some additional vigorous use, the only real gripe that i have is that the lower shelf is a little flimsy. It seemed a good spot to park power tools in order to leave the work surface free. It works, but is sags a lot.