A better mouse trap.....

Review by Chris posted 1658 days ago 2327 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A better mouse trap..... A better mouse trap..... A better mouse trap..... Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received the Sorby Sandmaster from my children as a Christmas present. On the surface you might think “Why do I need a tool for sanding a bowl?” I normally use regular sandpaper (Norton or 3M) for finishing my bowls; this however turned out to be a whole different story. I found that I am not seeing the wonderful concentric circles from the sandpaper scratches and I don’t believe I’m getting much if any heat buildup. I just completed a crotch maple bowl this morning and I will say that it cut my finish sanding time by at least half.

Tool Specific Information:

1. Has an articulated head; nice for those odd shapes

2. Has a soft sponge Velcro surface; which follows your contours nicely and it is replaceable.

3. Uses 2” circles of sandpaper (pro or con… you tell me). They are relatively inexpensive @ Woodcraft here in Jacksonville.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

I have tried these, and my only problem is that the velcro kind of wears out rather quickly, and discs fly off.
They do sand quickly, I think I just need to take better care of the velcro, and wash some dust off occasionally.
Thanks for the info.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Joey Stephens's profile

Joey Stephens

I just purchased the unit, but I have not tried out as of yet. I also wanted a 3” head, but Woodcrafters wanted $49.99 for the 3” head only. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where I can get the 3” head cheaper?
Thanks

View sphere's profile

sphere

I have a random Orbit 2” dia. air sander from Harbor Freight. I took a 2” galvanized pipe and sharpened the outside end ( ground it) and can PUNCH out 2” discs of PSA or Hookand loop or just paper and use spray glue.

Also 2” scotch brite discs.

Use a mallet and a hunk of endgrain fire wood for a base and punch out all ya want , you get 3 from a 5” disc, 4 from a 6” disc..any grit ya want.

-- Spheramid Enterprises Architectural Wood Works