Pretty pleased with this plane

Review by garageking posted 04-05-2018 03:44 PM 1522 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pretty pleased with this plane Pretty pleased with this plane Pretty pleased with this plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

My daughters gave me a Woodcraft gift certificate for my birthday. I don’t have a low angle jack plane which I have always wanted. I did the usual research and decided that I probably will go with LN or LV version in the future. I have the Woodriver 4 1/2 which I really like and after reading the reviews here and elsewhere, I decided to go for the Woodriver 5 1/2. I was very pleased with the fit and finish, everything flat and square, etc. The blade is quite hefty and just needed a little work with the waterstones (does anyone know by the way what kind of steel ?01 or something less than that in terms of carbon content). I put it to the test before dawn this AM and planed a large platter (figured maple and bloodwood). The tool performed beautifully. Unfortunately my wife saw me watching a youtube video about the 5 1/2 (“The only plane you’ll ever need) and now is asking me whether I plan to sell my other planes! Not likely!

-- David, Kentucky

View garageking's profile

garageking

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#1 posted 04-05-2018 08:20 PM

Good for you! I have a type 11 5 1/2 C with two irons. One for scrub planing and one for finer work. I do believe the 5 1/2 is the best “cover all” plane, with the possible exception of the low angle jack. I like the size and the heft. I hope you get a great deal of use from yours.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

#2 posted 04-06-2018 02:24 AM

i wanted one of these, but my local store didnt have one and they were/are still backordered online. I saw the 5 1/2 at a Lie Nielsen event and it felt pretty good. I already have their No 62, so I wasn’t willing to spend for the fancy iron on this. Ended up buying a stanley type 16 and fixing it up. I do like it. Between the 62, 5 an 5 1/2, I suppose I tend to reach for the 5 the least. I probably use the 62 the most but probably because I’ve had it longer and am just used to it. If I got the 5 1/2 first, it could easily be the other way around.

All the WR planes I have seen in the store seem really nice. I just don’t have one yet! I need a no 1, 2 and 6 for my collection, so I may look to WR for one of those (I know they don’t make a 2).

I am sure you will love your plane.

Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View DaveInGA's profile

DaveInGA

#3 posted 04-07-2018 11:09 PM

Thank you for the review, the WR 5 1/2 was on my list as well and I’ll probably be ordering one when they come available.

-- Dave back into woodworking in Jefferson, GA

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#4 posted 04-09-2018 08:53 PM

Good comments, than you.

Your plane wall with shelf looks really nice, a pretty and useful shop feature.

-- Jim, Houston, TX