One of my favorite planes!!!!

Review by teenagewoodworker posted 12-26-2009 03:47 AM 4879 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One of my favorite planes!!!! One of my favorite planes!!!! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well i wonder if you guys can guess what i got for Christmas!!! :)

I’ve got a few planes, you know the regular an old stanley some Veritas Bevel up planes, and a Lie-Nielsen block plane but out of them all this has got to be one of my favorites!!!!!! First off you would be surprised how much a rabbeting block plane would come in handy. I don’t have a shoulder plane but even if i did i couldn’t see liking it more than this. I can get a full 1 3/4” width of cut which is much more than most shoulder planes. it is a little heavier but you can work around that. being a Lie-Nielsen its is just a very high quality hand plane.

One of the things that i love about this plane and have always loved about Lie-Nielsen is the quality of the steel used for the blades. This one is no exception it comes with an A-2 blade hardened to 60-62 rockwell and will take a super sharp edge. For me i atually grinded a 50 degree bevel onto it even though it comes with a 25 degree bevel. Of course that takes quite a while with the hardness of the steel but it was well worth it. with the 50 degree angle and the blade sharpened up to 8000 grit and honed i could cut pine across the grain with no tearout as well as on the end grain. Thats fairly common for most sharp blades to be able to do but to do it with a 62 degree angle of attack pretty crazy.

Overall i would highly highly recommend this plane!!!!!!!

View teenagewoodworker's profile

View Joe or Murph's profile

Joe or Murph

#1 posted 12-26-2009 04:08 AM

Nice looking plane… going on my wish list for next xmas!!!!

-- J.G.Murphy

View Marc5's profile

#2 posted 12-26-2009 04:11 AM

Got one and love it. You must have been a good boy!

-- Marc

View TexasTimbers's profile

#3 posted 12-26-2009 04:43 AM

You deserve it Denis. Santa always remembers the good teenage boys, and in your case, the good teenage men.

-- "Sure, listen to what the experts have to say, just don't let it get in the way of your woodworking."

#4 posted 12-26-2009 04:54 AM

-- Custom furniture

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

#5 posted 12-26-2009 05:03 AM

Thats a great handplane.

View cabinetmaster's profile

#6 posted 12-26-2009 02:08 PM

Nice plane.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View NH_Hermit's profile

#7 posted 12-26-2009 03:43 PM

It’s interesting that you’ve posted about your plane. I got stopped yesterday with my table project because I needed a dowel from the hardware store and too lazy to improvise, so I decided to resuscitate an old Stanley jack plane I inherited from my father several years back. I had left it out in my garage, as he had done, so it was in sad shape with rust and caked on dirt. I don’t think the blade could have cut warm butter. Now it’s looking, and working, pretty spiffy. There are still a couple of boxes of his old tools in the garage. I should dig through them again and see what’s there.

-- John from Hampstead

View Moron's profile

#8 posted 12-26-2009 04:05 PM

I was 45 years young when I got my fisrt LN toy. A complete set of their rosewood handled chisels, a dovetail saw, and a dovetail template.

You are a teenager

I’m jealous

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View mikedddd's profile

#9 posted 12-26-2009 05:24 PM

Excellent gift that you will get lots of use from, I have one and find it indispensable for fine tuning joinery work.

-- Mike

View lou's profile

#10 posted 12-26-2009 10:53 PM

Anything LN is a joy.Take care of it and it will take care of you.

View DonFaulk0517's profile

#11 posted 12-27-2009 04:57 AM

Good review… I’ve had the same plane for a few months now and love it. Like you, I didn’t have a shoulder plane and wanted to get a quality block plane… I settled for this plane to combine the need for both… and it has worked very well.

View hokieman's profile

#12 posted 12-27-2009 08:59 PM

I have one, too, and it is great. I also have a 4 1/2 bench plane that I use all the time. LN makes the best hand tools AND they are made right here in the good ole US of A!