Craftsman 12" Sliding Miter

Review by Bob Kollman posted 12-25-2009 08:55 AM 4767 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman 12" Sliding Miter Craftsman 12" Sliding Miter No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This miter saw has been very good purchase, I made some compromises in order to have a sliding compound miter sooner rather than later. I choose this one because of price $230.00 (I think the regular price is like $330.00), and durability. When I looked at the display model, it was firm and square. The saw has all the power I need, and most of the time I’m using it for cross cuts, and simple 45’s and 22.5’s . Out of the box everything was squared up, I had to make a slight adjustment on the tilt stop to get it at 45 degrees. No other adjustment were needed. The fence was perfectly square, even the laser was adjusted properly. The blade has a slight runout, probably due to the fact that the arbor is 5/8th’s with a reducer installed on the blade instead of 1” arbor. The installatin of a forrest blade with a 5/8ths arbor hole took care of the runout. The reason I wanted a slider was simple, everytime I needed to make a simple fast cut in the middle of a project, my table saw always seemed to have the dado blade set up. My 10” was limited to boards 51/2” wide. For that main reason this slider has become a valued asset in my work. The dust collection works great, saw dust flies all over, and I sweep up the mess when I’m done!!! I have had the saw for 6 months now with no problems, I rate it at 4 stars because I am sure that this saw has limitations that I am not aware of yet, but for practical simple jobs the preformance has been excellent. The slider works freely with no slop, and the miter stops are accurate. The hold down works well, and the bladeguards function as they should. I would rather have bought a bosch, but this saw with the right blade is a very accurate tool, at half the price. I do recommend this miter saw.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

patron

13146 posts in 2064 days

#1 posted 12-25-2009 10:23 AM

good review there bob ,
i wanted the dewalt for years ,
but when my bud gave me a radial arm saw ,
i made a table for it ,
and can do everything i need for now .
maybe when ( if ) i build a shop ,
i can rethink and get one ?

enjoy !

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1914 days

#2 posted 12-25-2009 06:21 PM

Mery x-mas Dave, we have the dewalt 12” at work, we cut mostlt plastic with it, the dewalt actually kicks a bit when you light it up. Extremly powerful miter saw. Probably why all the house builders and framers have them.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View John's Woodshop's profile

John's Woodshop

#3 posted 12-25-2009 07:06 PM

Bob,

That’s a nice looking saw! Congrats!

John

-- John -- Racine, WI -- Woodworking..."It's not just a Hobby, it's an Adventure"

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1918 days

#4 posted 12-25-2009 07:23 PM

Bob;

Excellent review! I too have this saw. I looked at the Dewalt DW718 also but at about $600 at HD and Lowe’s it was outside of what I wanted to spend so, went to local Sears to look at the Craftsman 12” slider. The store was out of stock except for the display model. The manager checked back room and all the accessories were still there including the manual. Only the box was missing. Ended up getting it for Craftsman Club price plus manager knocked an additional 20% off for it being display model resulting in less than $200 out the door. The saw was set up perfectly with everything in excellent alignment, s big surprise for a display model. Will be replacing the blade soon although the blade that came with it cuts great and do not have any runout issues that you noted.

Took my alleged $400 saving to HD and made a deal with the store manager to buy the Ridgid JP0610 6 1/8” jointer for $325 as seem HD may be closing this model out.

Will review both Miter Saw and Jointer soon.

Merry Christmas to all!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View sparks's profile

sparks

#5 posted 12-26-2009 07:03 AM

I have the craftsman’s 12” slider for about 5years now and love it. I looked into all the others and this had the best options for the price. I got it when it first came out and it wat around $450 at the time which was still a bargin compared to the Dewalt and Bosch I had looked at. I have had no problems with it except my dog chewed through the cord and had to replace it. DAMN DOG!!!!!!! I also have the Ridgid JP0610 and love it. Took about 2 hrs to assemble and set up but wasnt too bad right out of the box. If you can still get them the Ridgid table saw is awesome too for the money. I used to work for HD and got it before they went to the granite top which isnt all that great in my opinion. The Ridgid 14” bandsaw is ok. My girlfriend bought it for me 2 yrs ago and it works pretty well if you get rid of the blade it comes with and get a good one. I have had 2 parts break on it though because of cheap pot metal. I bought upgraded parts for them after Ridgid sent me the same part under warranty but those too were pot metal. Thanks for reading.

-- Sparks

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

709 posts in 1922 days

#6 posted 12-27-2009 06:30 PM

Some Craftsman are good and some are not, but I think you got a good one. I think the rule is, if you are cheap you get cheap stuff. The $100 miter is cheap, the $300 is good.
Enjoy it and try not to trim the fingernails. Good luck.
P.S. had my Craqftsman Miter ( not a slider) for 9 years works great.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View CCWoodcrafts's profile

CCWoodcrafts

#7 posted 01-26-2010 04:44 AM

I need a slider for slightly wider stuff and this is a good review. I’m still leery though as the reviews on the 10” craftsman are so universally bad. Based on this review I’ll check out the 12” didn’t want to go that route since all my other blades are 10” but … don’t want to spend $600 on a Dewalt either…

-- Jim, http://carolinacustomwoodcrafts.building.officelive.com/default.aspx