4" PVC Pipe to 4" Dust Collection Hose

Review by copythat posted 04-01-2018 03:11 PM 1972 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
4" PVC Pipe to 4" Dust Collection Hose No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I made my own inexpensive dust collection system using 4” PVC sewer pipe and fittings from Lowe’s. The parts were a fraction of the cost of true dust collection ducting and fittings. The one issue I had was that the diameter of the sewer pipe I used was too narrow to get a nice fit for the flexible drop down dust hose. To solve the problem, I invested in Dust Right transitions and they fit perfectly. Although pricey at $15 each, I thought they were money well spent.

-- Rob

View copythat's profile

copythat

View Roy Turbett's profile

Roy Turbett

#1 posted 04-01-2018 11:52 PM

You can also heat schedule 40 PVC with a heat gun to soften it and push a dust fitting into it to make a snug fit. There’s a youtube video on home made cyclone separators that shows how to do it but I don’t have the link.

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#2 posted 04-02-2018 01:36 AM

hmm. ill have to search for that link.. if anyone has it already, can you save a fella some trouble?

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View Roy Turbett's profile

Roy Turbett

#3 posted 04-02-2018 01:50 AM

Found it here:

Reference is 15:31 into the video.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#4 posted 04-02-2018 08:08 PM

I used coupling found at Lowes for my simple PVC system. Like your set up better!

-- Bill

#5 posted 04-02-2018 08:22 PM

And why does 6” pvc pipe cost $42 / 10-ft while 4” costs$ 12 / 10-ft? It’s only 50% more material at 3x the price.

Still, I’ve been fixin’ to upgrade my DC and the fittings are the thing that run the price up.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#6 posted 04-02-2018 09:14 PM

And why does 6” pvc pipe cost $42 / 10-ft while 4” costs$ 12 / 10-ft? It s only 50% more material at 3x the price.

Still, I ve been fixin to upgrade my DC and the fittings are the thing that run the price up.

- Ocelot

Look for a local HVAC supplier. They’ll most likely will have 26ga or better piping and fittings at a better price than PVC. I just posed a source for Central Florida as they were FAR cheaper than PVC.

#7 posted 04-03-2018 02:03 PM

Thanks for the tip, Rayne. I’ll look into it.

#8 posted 04-03-2018 04:00 PM

You can get a Sch40 to S&D adapter for about $2.00, a stub of S&D and you’ve got it… Or just run 4” S&D if you are using 4” at all. It’s less expensive, and fits the hose just fine.

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/daves-workshop

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#9 posted 04-05-2018 12:00 PM

- Ocelot

I used to work in plastics and also the industrial heater industry that supplied the heaters to the extruders of pipe.
The big cost difference is in three areas – bigger molds and larger extruders, LOTS more storage, and the cost of shipment, since you cannot get anywhere near the footage of 6” pipe on a truck that you can with 4”. Oh, and QC – lots harder to fill and extrude 6” since there is a lot more wall thickness to keep filled, so it comes out slower.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

#10 posted 04-05-2018 12:57 PM

Well, that explains it! :-)

I can’t seem to find the S&D listed online at HD or Lowes. I just need to go into the stores and look. It’s the Sch40, that’s $42 / 10 ft.

On another thread, there was a sheet metal guy who said you can make your own metal fittings – even Y’s and elbows more easily than you think. So… I’ve ordered a 1922 book on sheet metal “development” as they call it. I’ve got tin snips and gloves. It’s worth a try. Maybe I’ll end up with metal ducts after all.

I’ve seen the youtoob video of making reducers yourself out of straight PVC pipe with a heat gun and some shop-made dies. That seems worth doing too – and a lot easier than making reducers out of sheet metal, no matter how good the book might be.

Apologies to the original poster – who was reviewing Rockler’s fittings.

-Paul

View abish0220's profile

abish0220

#11 posted 04-18-2018 01:35 AM

lowes has 4inch to 3 inch sewer reducers that are $2 and 4 inch dc hose fits on no problem.

View trevor7428's profile

trevor7428

#12 posted 06-25-2018 01:35 AM

- abish0220

+1 that’s what I did. Its not a perfect fit like Rockler. But it works just fine. 4” house fits on the 3” side of the reducer and just use a normal hose clamp.