Delta 46-460 12-1/2" Variable-Speed Lathe and Optional Stand

Review by Padre posted 12-24-2009 03:37 AM 10324 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta 46-460 12-1/2" Variable-Speed Lathe and Optional Stand Delta 46-460 12-1/2" Variable-Speed Lathe and Optional Stand Delta 46-460 12-1/2" Variable-Speed Lathe and Optional Stand Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this lathe two weeks ago when it was on sale at Woodcraft. I brought it home, opened it up, and set it up. It took about an hour to completely set it up.

The lathe stands level and true, and the tail stock/head stock are perfectly aligned. It is a variable speed, but some belt changes are needed for different speed “ranges.” It is a cinch to change the belt. Picture #2 shows how you pull a lever, change the belt, re-tighten the lever, and off you go.

It is a quiet lathe, and I have yet to set it bouncing. I also purchased the Delta stand to go with it, and it is a nice stand and well made.

The only question I do have on it is the lathe bed. Whereas on my Powermatic 3520b where the bed is as smooth as a baby’s behind, and also on the Jet models, the bed of this lathe is “textured,” ridged actually, and is very rough to the touch. It does not interfere with the motion of the tailstock, but I am surprised it is not polished like the other lathes I have seen.

This is a well made lathe and I would recommend it.

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View Padre's profile

Padre

View GMman's profile

GMman

#1 posted 12-24-2009 03:46 AM

A lathe is something I don’t have but I have long time ago worked a little on one maybe some day before I get too old I will have room for one.
Enjoy yours.

#2 posted 12-24-2009 04:23 AM

Wow, two lathes!! You must be going into production work. Thanks for another lathe review.

#3 posted 12-24-2009 04:42 PM

Looks like a great lathe. I’ve got a Penn State Industries lathe and it has the similar belt change options but mine is on the back and is harder to get o. Looks like yours is on the front.

Mine also has the flat milled ways. I assume that is a product of a lower selling price. Not being able to do all of the deluxe finishing on a reduced price machinery.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#4 posted 12-26-2009 04:33 AM

Thanks Chip, I was wondering about this lathe when Delta first announced it. looks like a good buy.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Bill Akins's profile

Bill Akins

#5 posted 02-04-2010 06:50 PM

I bought this lathe at the Atlanta Woodworking show last weekend and so far I love it. I had a chaep ebay lathe before and wore it out.

-- Bill from Lithia Springs, GA I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.

#6 posted 02-04-2010 06:51 PM

Good review

View blyther's profile

blyther

#7 posted 03-05-2010 04:29 AM

Chip, Nice review!
I’m so torn. I’m looking for my first lathe and have a price range of 300 to
$500ish. have a small shop so can’t afford the space and $ for a monster. But the minis out there can’t achieve a long enough spindle for a table or end table. I’ve looked at yours and like the fact that it has varitable speed and reverse. An extension is always an option too. I’ve heard that if you go cheap the first time you buy you end up buy twice.
anyone with advice for me…Chip?

-- Paul, Winterset Iowa,

View DonFaulk0517's profile

DonFaulk0517

#8 posted 04-07-2010 02:14 AM

Any new insight on the Delta midi lathe? I am thinking of buying my first lathe and so far the Delta seems to be the one of choice (from all the reviews I’ve seen).

Thanks!

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View pedroadami's profile

pedroadami

#10 posted 10-17-2010 04:59 PM

I bought recently the midi-lathe DELTA 46-460 and brought it to Brazil.
After assembly, when I turned on lathe, the index pin was engaged.
Now, every time I try to turn on lathe, the motor overload protector shut lathe off.
Anyone has an idea about the damage caused?

-- Pedro C. Adami

View BillVan's profile

BillVan

#11 posted 12-18-2012 02:24 PM

Hi Gang
I just got my new Delta 46-460 lathe yesterday. Everything appears to be OK but I do have a few misgivings. When checking the on line replacement parts sites a lot of the more common parts were unavailable from Delta. The belt has a price north of $35.00. Yikes!!!
The lathe runs smooth except for a slight vibration, or more like a hum at the highest speed.
The only thing that has me a bit concerned is that the tailstock ram threads seem to ba a bit sloppy. Not as tight as the threads on my Delta LA200.
I will see what the weekend brings when I turn a few projects.

-- Bill V