Powermatic 3520b, superstar

Review by Padre posted 12-24-2009 03:29 AM 4022 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powermatic 3520b, superstar Powermatic 3520b, superstar Powermatic 3520b, superstar Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had my Powermatic for almost a year now, and I have used it a LOT.

It runs true and smooth. The lathe was perfectly level/square right out of the box. I have had NO problems with this lathe.

It is quiet, powerful and it feels good to be at. It makes you comfortable knowing that you will be able to do what you want to do.

At first, being a new turner, it intimidated me a little, but now, we are best friends.

I would not hesitate to recommend this lathe to anyone.

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View Padre's profile

Padre

View GMman's profile

GMman

#1 posted 12-24-2009 03:32 AM

You made a great choice on your tools, enjoy them.

View Rj's profile

Rj

#2 posted 12-24-2009 04:01 AM

I love mine to no regrets here!

-- Rj's Woodworks,San Jose & Weed Ca,

View Roper's profile

Roper

#3 posted 12-24-2009 04:14 AM

i love mine to, just a quick word of advise if there is a really bad lighting storm in your area unplug it,because my inverter blew up when a good spring storm came throught.

-- Roper - Master of sawdust- www.roperwoodturning.com

#4 posted 12-24-2009 04:20 AM

Thanks for the review. I had a chance to get one of these a couple of years back. I saw an ad for one that was 3 years old and came with a complete set of Sorby gouges and turning chisels for $1800 on a Friday. I waited until Monday to call about it and it was already gone. I have kicked myself many times for hesitating on this deal.

When I get around to getting a lathe this is one I would seriously consider. I appreciate the recommendation.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#5 posted 12-24-2009 05:30 AM

I love mine as well…

By the way…. noticed all your tool holding jigs (magnets) nice idea :)

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

403 posts in 2045 days

#6 posted 12-24-2009 06:21 AM

thanks for the advice Roper I will keep that in mind….I love my 3520b money well spent

-- Cosmicturner

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1920 days

#7 posted 12-24-2009 07:10 PM

Great review….I’ll add my kudos to this lathe also. I have had mine for almost a year now…and it is my favorite tool in the shop. I have turned pens to large bowls and have made a couple of off center (eccentric) jigs for it. You cannot go wrong with this lathe….it is well thought out and well built…thanks again for the review.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Joey Stephens's profile

Joey Stephens

#8 posted 02-28-2010 12:54 AM

I am new to turning and after a lot of research I chose the PM 3520B as well. I have been thrilled with it. My only regret is that the head does not pivot. Due to space limits this would have made things a lot easier.

View wlhutch's profile

wlhutch

#9 posted 04-26-2011 02:54 PM

Mid-July 2010 the lathe was delivered and the digital speed sensor failed the first week. They didn’t ask me to send it back, attempt complex repairs or any such nonsense; Powermatic dispatched a tech to my shop to correct the problem. Talk about outstanding customer service- this it the real deal. It’s a fine machine that serves my needs well and I couldn’t be more satisfied. I’m a bit of a tight-wad and justifying the additional cost was difficult, but factoring the life expectancy of the machine, the costs were insignificant- buying quality only hurts once… (DAMHIKTTBT)