Better saw than most

Review by TheStairMaster posted 03-22-2018 09:10 PM 1556 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Better saw than most Better saw than most Better saw than most Click the pictures to enlarge them

I worked with various table saw brands thru out the years, the one brand I always liked was the Powermatic, I owned a few starting with the 66 model and always enjoyed this brand, but, lately, due to safety concerns having children around the shop, I decided it is time to look into the Saw Stop brand and, of course after a little research, I decided that it would be in my best interest to go with the ICS 5hp single phase.
Man do I like this saw….this is a beast of a machine, precise and efficient, Powermatic was too, but lacked the safety feature that I had to have; I love this table saw, I got the industrial wheels for it and got it in 52” vs the 36”; I have a good dust collector so it works perfect, I still have Powermatic other toys (can’t dump them just like that, lol) but when it comes to table saws, unless everyone else follows in the footsteps of the Saw Stop when it comes to safety feature they manage to put on their saws, I will stick with them from now on.
I do a lot of custom work and a good tool is everything when it comes to successful outcome on some of this high demanding custom jobs.
Dan

TheStairMaster

View PlanBWoodworks's profile (online now)

PlanBWoodworks

#1 posted 03-23-2018 01:10 AM

Wow, Sawstop has really changed their design. When did they add the second floor and 3 car garage? Just kidding. Hope you enjoy the saw. I am getting ready to purchase a Sawstop or Powermatic myself.

-- Why can’t I ever find my pencil???

#2 posted 03-23-2018 01:17 AM

.......Wow, Sawstop has really changed their design. When did they add the second floor and 3 car garage? Just kidding. Hope you enjoy the saw. I am getting ready to purchase a Sawstop or Powermatic myself…..

Lol, right…they were asking me for a pic and that was the quickest problem solver to be able to finalize the post; anyway, that is my latest project, only problem, my wife was my boss on that one, lol.
But thank you, I really feel like a kid in a candy store with that saw around.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#3 posted 03-23-2018 01:50 PM

I’m glad you like the new saw. You got plenty of horsepower.

Are you planning to teach the kids learn to use the saw, and do other wood work? Seems like there is not nearly as much of that going on these days.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

#4 posted 03-23-2018 03:35 PM

I m glad you like the new saw. You got plenty of horsepower.

- jimintx

That’s for sure; whatever they decide to do for their day job, fine by me but, they have to learn everything I know; when I got married, first thing I did I thought my wife everything I know about woodworking, mind you, she works in cardiology, but to this day, she can do anything I can, aside lifting heavy stuff; the idea is, if I kick the bucket, I need them to be able to run the show just like I am; I do all kind of work, I deal with pissy, pretentious costumers that drives me crazy at times, hell, I even became like them, I started building high end homes lately on my spare time, therefor I instill in my kids/wife the instinct of survival and being able to change things on a moment’s notice if they fall on hard times, hence them knowing other things besides being in front of a screen. So far so good, the kids follow the instructions fairly well; one thing I do with them that is somewhat unorthodox is, I pay them for working in the shop with me, now, they are not adults, they are kids, but still teach them the value of earning, and, of course, they still have to do their around the house free work; I hope that answers your question, lol. Dan.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#5 posted 03-23-2018 04:25 PM

Dan, that’s more than enough explanation. FWIW, I totally approve of your approach. I did a little of that, but not really as much as I likely should have. I do not have a business to pass on, however.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

#6 posted 03-23-2018 04:36 PM

Dan, that s more than enough explanation. FWIW, I totally approve of your approach. I did a little of that, but not really as much as I likely should have. I do not have a business to pass on, however.

- jimintx

Considering how crazy things are these days, no parent is immune from kids getting out of control, so I am trying to keep them busy with what really matters and hope for the best.
Also, my goal is not primarily to pass the business to them, but to pass knowledge that might come in handy one day, the way I learned this, is while playing in my grandfather’s shop, my father know how to do woodworking, but he had a different day job so I learned from his dad the basics that eventually I built upon to get me where I am today. Dan

View PJKS's profile

PJKS

#7 posted 03-24-2018 11:19 AM

Well done !!
You will not regret your purchase ….

-- Pat / Colorado

#8 posted 03-24-2018 04:22 PM

Well done !!
You will not regret your purchase ….

- PJKS

Thanks, I see you went the same route. do you have a good experience with this particular saw?? dan.

View Ted78's profile

Ted78

376 posts in 1964 days

#9 posted 03-28-2018 03:30 PM

My grandfather said you need to know three different ways to make a living. In his case, farming, operating a mobile grain grinder he built out of an old model T, and third way that might not have been entirely legal and led to him hiding out in Canada for a while. May have kept him from going hungry though.

-- Ted

View sciesauteuse's profile

sciesauteuse

#10 posted 03-29-2018 04:17 PM

#11 posted 03-30-2018 03:03 AM

- sciesauteuse

The answer to that question is best answered by the company itself.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#12 posted 04-02-2018 11:35 PM

- sciesauteuse

Probably not too far off it not already since Festool owns SawStop now.