Rockler Mortise Machine Table And Fence

Review by TheDane posted 1674 days ago 4333 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Mortise Machine Table And Fence No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This table/fence solved a lot of problems, and really improved the performance of my Jet JBM-5 Mortising Machine. It provides a much larger work surface than the stock table, and comes with 2 of Rockler’s Rotary Guides that help secure the workpiece against the fence, but allow movements to the right or left so you can slide the workpiece as needed.

I made one small modification when I installed the fence.

I have never trusted wood screws in MDF for this type of fixture, so instead of using wood screws to attach the MDF fence to the machine’s cast iron fence, I used Teenuts (Rockler Item # 26054) and 1/4” #20×1” pan-head screws to attach the fence.

To do this, I marked the location of the holes in the cast iron fence on the MDF, the drilled a 1/16” hole through the MDF to server as a pilot hole. I then used a Forstner bit to drill a recess about 1/16” deep into the melamine face of the MDF fence (deep enough so the shoulder of the Teenut was flush with the melamine surface).

I then drilled a 1/4” hole through the MDF and bolted the modified fence in place.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

Greetings Dane:

I bought the exact table and fence from Rockler a month or so ago. I put it on my Delta Mortiser, and like you said, it works great. Big improvement over the small 8”x 13” that came on the mortiser. Don’t know why I didn’t do it a long time ago. I was going to do a review on it, but never got to it. Got too busy doing other projects, instead…..... lol. Thanks fore the review.

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I also have the JBM-5 and I have known almost from the day I bought it that I had to do something about the fence, table and hold downs. I did not know about this Rockler option. Thank you.

I chose the Jet because it runs at a slower rpm than most other bench top units. With some real improvement in the table and fence this could become a pretty good machine.