A great portable saw

Review by Zuki posted 01-15-2008 03:09 AM 3402 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great portable saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the TS2400LS in late December 2006. I needed a powerful and feature laden portable table saw for my workshop. I reviewed other portable saws including:

Bosch 4000-09

Dewalt 774

I did not review the Makita 2704X1 it was not available at that time.

I decided on the Ridgid for several reasons:
- the non-pneumatic tires make for a more stable base
- T- tracks in the table top
- beveled top edge allowing the miter to slide easily
- the slots in the fence allows jigs to be easily attached
- mico-adjusting fence
- dust port
- miter, fence and guard stores away very compactly and
- the saw can be stored flush against garage wall.

After using it for a little over a year I am still very happy with the saw and I love the stand. The only non-positives I could come up with include:

- Stock blade is good for rough work. But then again what stock blade is good for fine work.
- The top is coated with a textured paint that tends to scratch if metal objects strike\scratch it.
- On\off switch is a little small. I sometime find it difficult to find when turning off the saw

I would recommend this saw to anyone who is looking for portable table saw

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#1 posted 01-15-2008 05:13 AM

I agree. It is a good benchtop saw. The Ridgid and Bosch are the tops in this category.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 01-15-2008 11:40 AM

I have a Ridgid table saw, and have been very satisfied with it. You’ll love it.

View Murray Tate's profile

Murray Tate

#3 posted 01-17-2008 03:42 AM

I have the same one. It throws a lot of dust and chips into your face if you don’t take the dust collection off the underside of the saw…those of us that don’t have sucking capability yet. Love the saw though.

-- Murray...one joint at a time!

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

#4 posted 01-19-2008 12:40 AM

Good point Murray. It also kicks up if the dust port gets blocked. The dust collection door is easy to remove.

Another bit of information that I recently received form Ridgid . . . The table coating is a powder paint/teflon mixture.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View Hawgnutz's profile

Hawgnutz

#5 posted 03-01-2008 05:40 PM

Tyhis is one great little saw! I got one last spring (Jan 07) and promptly used it to cut a 3/4” dado in 1000 board feet of pine for a fence I built. It did this without a whimper or complaint, cut all the tips on the fence posts, and does fine work on my boxes. The side 45 degree bevel is not all the way to 45 degrees, but I clean that up with a router bit =];0)

Another good feature is the blade storage on the side. I can store 2 or 3 blades, with spacers between them and have them readily accessible. I keep my Glue Line Rip and a plywood blade on the side, along with the wrenches.

Plus it is cool to have a TS that you can toss in back of pickup and take to friend’s house to help fix something!
Yee haw! Portability!

God Bless,
Hawg

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards