My setup and initial impressions of Grizzly GO513X2

Review by Munson01 posted 03-17-2018 01:59 AM 2570 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My setup and initial impressions of Grizzly GO513X2 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So this is my first post on here. I’ve been on here awhile, just lurking. For a few years I’ve been wanting to get my hands on a bandsaw, it’s the only big power tool I was lacking. After some research on here and a few other sites, I decided on the Grizzly 17” saw. Ordering it was pretty painless. I was a little put off with the initial delivery process. I ordered it through Amazon. I’ve ordered a few other large power tools through amazon, and I was always immediately asked the day I wanted it delivered. This time there was nothing, and I knew I needed to have the day off for delivery…I just needed to know the day. I ordered it on a Wednesday, by Saturday I still hadn’t heard anything. I called amazon and they informed me I needed to work through Grizzly. I called them and they said they would get back to me on Monday. They called Monday and told me it would it was going to leave the factory within the next few days and it would arrive at the freight location 3-5 days after that. I then would have to wait 1-3 days for delivery. So basically it sounded like I needed to have anywhere from 4 to 8 days available to be here and if I was not ready to take delivery within 2 days I would be charged storage. Also, it would be delivered by an 18 wheeler so if they can’t pull it up the driveway, it would be dropped off on the street. I don’t know too many people who can have an 18 wheeler back in the driveway! It turned out the shipping company was great, flexible with my schedule, and even helped me haul it up the driveway and set it up in the shop! The crate was kinda busted up, but there appeared to be no damage to the machine. Initial setup was very easy. The manual is pretty lacking. It gives good generic information, but it does not tell you what all the adjustment screws are and what exactly they adjust. I was attempting to set it up using the Snodgrass method. A few phone calls to customer support and it was good to go. I put a Timberwolf blade on right away and I’ve made a few cuts. Man, this thing feels pretty sweet. Adjustments are pretty easy once you know exactly what to adjust (even customer service admitted the manual could do a better job). I made a few simply cuts on pine and it easily with take a 1/16” slice no problem. I made a few nick nack things for the kids so my wife will see that it’s a good investment! All in all I’m pretty happy with it so far. The only other bandsaws I’ve used are a 14” Rockwell and a 22” Laguna. But this thing sure is fun for playing around on. I guess it’s time to actually produce something with it.

View Munson01's profile

Munson01

View garageking's profile

garageking

#1 posted 03-18-2018 12:47 AM

Thanks for the review and congrats. Although I have a Laguna, I think you can’t go wrong with Grizzly, Rikon or Laguna at that price point.Enjoy your saw!

-- David, Kentucky

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#2 posted 03-18-2018 12:19 PM

I’ve owned a G0513X2BF since 2012. Has been nothing short of a horse. Only things I have changed out in six years are the tires on the wheels, (which you would expect), and about two weeks ago, one lower guide thrust bearing that got clogged with sawdust and finally died. About 8 bucks. Otherwise, every time I start it up, I know it will perform the same as the day I bought it. (FYI – so glad I bought the electric brake…hurt a little in the pocketbook six years ago, but man, has that thing saved me a ton of time over the years.)
Good choice!

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View nitehorse's profile

nitehorse

#3 posted 03-21-2018 11:52 PM

Got my G0513X2BF on 3/20/2018. Tennessee talked me into :).
I won’t get to uncrate it for a while BUT it’s here. I see you mentioned you called customer support. I would appreciate a heads up on what you ran into and how it was solved.

Thanks
Jim

View richimage's profile

richimage

43 posts in 1931 days

#4 posted 03-22-2018 12:58 AM

I purchased mine at the Tent sale in Springfield a couple of years ago – banged up, missing a couple of things – I was able to buy the parts right on site, the price was excellent! I only had to call Customer Support once, everything else seemed logical to me… this replaced a “classic” ( 70 yrs old) Delta 12” that I really liked; having said that, the Griz with a Timberwolf 3/4” variable will slice a battleship! I have resawn a fair bit of six to twelve inch logs, a bunch of Hard Maple and Hickory, and have had no issues at all. I too like the brake, it was not an important thing when I went looking, but I now appreciate it. Only down side of the brake is the number of things you need to touch during multiple power operations ( meaning turning the saw off and on repeatedly). Once you press the big Red knob, the saw quickly stops. Now you should (according to the manual) turn off the key; otherwise it could cause a problem with the magnetic part of the switch. The turning back on sequence is: pull/twist the Red knob back out – turn the key to the “on” position, and hit the green button. Whew! This wouldn’t be an issue for a production shop, but I’m a hobbyist and am still very careful around the saw. All in all five stars from me!

Richimage

-- "Women are like modern paintings. You can't enjoy them if you try to understand them." Farrokh Bulsara (Freddie Mercury)

View Munson01's profile

Munson01

#5 posted 03-31-2018 04:20 AM

I had to call customer on a few items. First off, while I had used bandsaws in the past, I had never set one up. And since I was using the “Snodgrass why, I wasn’t following the step by step procedure in the book. Several of the items needed to make adjustments where not named in the manual, so I called to get confirmation on the part name. Also, I believe there was a thrust bearing that needed to be adjusted. There is a bolt that needed to be loosened before it could be adjusted. That was not shown in the manual. It made common sense looking at it, I just wanted confirmation