Quality plane for years to come.

Review by Rick posted 12-22-2009 09:36 PM 3373 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quality plane for years to come. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

In my book Veritas builds high quality planes with a dash of new and innovative thinking for a reasonable price. It’s not a cheap price but if you’re looking to be happy with a plane in every way, then this is the first brand in the price range. In my opinion.

I use this plane for everything except for smoothing a wide board. This will handle end grain and even the side grain of birds eye maple. However, you need to get your plane iron sharp. I suggest the A2 steel. You should not stop sharpening and moving up the grits until you have a mirror finish on both sides of your blade. You must have a mirror finish meeting a mirror finish to get a truly sharp edge. If you don’t do that you can’t blame the tool. I use the “scary sharp” method.

I recently bought only the front wood knob for it. I could always get a good grip on the rear of the plane but had trouble get the pressure down on the front of it when running across a board. The plane would running up and out of the wood as I was making my passes. I’m not a tall or big guy so others might not have this problem. I just couldn’t get the umph behind it without the front knob for extra control and pressure.

Now, if you want this to be a quality plane for years to come.. Keep it waxed.

View Rick's profile

Rick

354 posts in 1963 days

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 2051 days

#1 posted 12-23-2009 04:42 AM

Nice review. I have the same plane and love it. I didn’t get the front knob but I did purchased the chamfer guide. it works well also. I bought the plane when the price was a little higher last summer, Lee Valley sent me a check for the difference when they dropped the price (I didn’t even ask for it). I’ve been very happy with all my Lee Valley tools.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#2 posted 12-23-2009 05:29 AM

It one of my most used block plane and man dose it hold its cutting edge.

View gmerteng's profile

gmerteng

#3 posted 12-23-2009 04:30 PM

I have this plane also and i use it alot. Lee valley has very nice tools i am really impressed with there stuff.

-- Mert,Oshkosh WI,

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#4 posted 12-25-2009 12:54 PM

Me too, like this plane so much. I like the lever cap locking mechanism – it uses lever cap wheel. The blade does not play side way while we are tightening the lever cap.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.