Very pleased with the DeWalt DWS779 sliding compound miter saw

Review by garageking posted 03-14-2018 03:20 PM 3633 views 3 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very pleased with the DeWalt DWS779 sliding compound miter saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After much research including reading the many reviews online for this particular saw, I opted to buy the DeWalt DWS779 sliding compound miter saw. It came down to that or the Bosch glide model. Since the DeWalt was only 349.00 (Acme tools) I decided against the Bosch. I also made the decision that I didn’t really need the LED light guide (200.00 more for the DWS 780).I sold my old Ridgid non slider quickly on C/L. That saw had served me well but what an upgrade! I love the DeWalt so much so that I built a mobile miter saw stand complete with the awesome Kreg precision track for the fence and one of the Kreg production stops. I switched out the 24T DeWalt blade (seems like a good blade for rough construction) and bought a Freud and a Diablo blade for the 779. I am amazed at how accurate the saw is without any adjustments. Everything is first rate about it except the dust collection, which is expected.I am really enjoying being able to crosscut wider lumber particularly since I have a small very low end contractor table saw. Other than an angle grinder, this is the only DeWalt power tool I have ever bought.There are so many reviews online for this saw, I can’t really add anything, only just to say how pleased I am with it. I would also add that having a dedicated miter station is great (PS the fences both slide back on the T tracks so I can use the station top for other purposes).

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#1 posted 03-14-2018 05:23 PM

I have an old DeWalt no-sliding miter saw and it can only handle 5” cross cut. What can this one do? I keep looking at this one but haven’t made the commitment due to cost and the fact that mine still works fine.

#2 posted 03-14-2018 07:37 PM

This one will crosscut 16 inches apparently if you make some adjustments to the fence and make a plywood platform which I haven’t bothered to do. I’ll have to measure what I can cross cut without any adjustment. At least a 2 by 12 but I’ll check. My Ridgid 12” miter saw worked great as well but couldn’t crosscut a 2 by 8. Just frustrating. I bought it for $199 15 years ago and sold it on C/L for $115 to a happy contractor. I am using the DeWalt much more often than I ever used the Ridgid. I recently saw the Harbor Freight copy of the DeWalt slider and was amazed at its price. One would be foolish to buy that saw when you can get a DeWalt for the same price. The DeWalt has a proven record. You see them everywhere on construction sites.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#3 posted 03-15-2018 11:18 AM

Thanks for the details. I will definitely be taking a closer look at this over the next couple months. I really like the idea of being able to cross cut 16” boards. That would help reduce the problem of getting a square edge on wide stock on the table saw.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#4 posted 03-15-2018 02:48 PM

It’s currently cheaper than the new Harbor Freight slider. Makes it a no brainer.

View RandyinFlorida's profile

RandyinFlorida

#5 posted 03-15-2018 03:22 PM

Lowes has them on sale! Insert in todays local paper. $349 . Was $549.

-- Randy in Crestview Florida, Wood Rocks!

View TechTeacher04's profile

TechTeacher04

#6 posted 03-15-2018 03:34 PM

You may live to regret passing on the LED. I sold my old 12” and have LED on both my slider and standard 12” dial bevel. Great for production work, or the odd on site job. Great saw, just my personal experience. If you have good shop lighting it will be a non issue, I don’t in my basement shop.

#7 posted 03-15-2018 03:36 PM

Thanks Randy, I haven’t seen the 779 in our Lowes here only the 780 which has the ‘laser’/LED guide. It seems everyone is wanting to unload that model and push the 780 and the 780 equivalent with the Flexvolt (which looks like a great saw). That’s a great price especially when you compare it to what you would pay for a Harbor Freight saw or a Kobalt or a Ryobi or a Ridgid. Based on what I have read the DeWalt is superior to those saws. I have a good friend who is a trim carpenter and he loves the DeWalt.

#8 posted 03-15-2018 06:42 PM

TechTeacher, you may well be right. Were I a professional using it day in and day out, the LED guide would be very helpful but I never had a guide with my old saw and never really felt I needed it. And it was $200 more. Also I found out that Oshlun makes a guide (replaces the blade washer) for the saw that costs around $20. And the other thing is that with the Kreg fence system you just dial in the length and then cut. For the kind of woodworking I do, I can just set the stop for whatever length I want and I get exact reproducible cuts. Finally I have great lighting in my garage. Having said all that, my trim carpenter friend says the light guide is essential for him. I think this saw would be a very quick sell on Craigslist if I ever wanted to upgrade. Thanks everyone for your comments.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#9 posted 03-17-2018 12:37 AM

I don’t have a light or a laser guide on any tools at all, and I would never have even thought of such if the tool makers didn’t try to push it. Thus I agree, not paying $100+ to get one!

My older dewalt compound miter saw is a great, great tool. It is a different model, but the quality and consistency and features are all just great.

I applaud your rolling meter saw table scheme, and commend you on a very nice build of it.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

#10 posted 03-17-2018 03:43 PM

TechTeacher, FYI yesterday I cross cut a 1/4” mdf panel a little wider than 13” (making the changes in the manual you could crosscut 16”).

Jim, thanks for your kind feedback. Everything in my shop is on wheels except my lathe. I am really enjoying having a dedicated miter saw station and again I am really pleased with the fence system. If I need ten 22 1/4” boards I just slide the stop to 22 1/4” and start cutting with no more measuring. It’s obviously going to be more accurate even than making cuts with a laser guide.Where the light guide would be really nice is if you were doing a lot of trim carpentry, lots of crown etc.

View Fritz7293's profile

Fritz7293

#11 posted 03-26-2018 11:00 PM

I bought the same saw at Lowe’s last week while they were on sale. Wondering what fittings you used to hook up to the dust port on the saw? thanks

#12 posted 03-27-2018 01:17 AM

Well I just hooked up the 2.5” shop vac hose, made an adaptor but it’s not great. Tried using a 2.5” “Y” Fitting with another hose end near the blade but wasn’t any better. I need to devise something better. You bought a great saw!

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#13 posted 05-03-2018 03:51 PM

It’s your table that impressed me! Looks fantastic!

-- Without the wood, it's just working