Jet 16/32 review

Review by eflanders posted 03-13-2018 11:00 PM 1402 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet 16/32 review Jet 16/32 review Jet 16/32 review Click the pictures to enlarge them

It’s a rarity that I buy any machinery brand new but alas I have done so in buying a Jet 16/32 sander as a birthday present from my 84 year old mother. I’ve been very guilty at looking at reviews, but never writing them so here goes:

I bought the unit from an online dealer (who I think errored in their ad) but allowed me free freight, plus a 10% off coupon on their sale price. So the bottom line price was awesome! The unit was in-stock and thus it was shipped the next day. We’ve had a few snow storms here so the shipment was rerouted and delayed a little accordingly. I was very pleasantly surprised when the shipment arrived that there was no visible damage to the well packaged pallet. Thanks to the snow and ice on the ground I was able to easily drag the pallet to the basement door entry to my shop. Thankfully it was all down hill because the pallet weight was approximately 220 pounds. With the help of my neighbor we dragged pallet into the basement and began to tear into the thing.

No machine damage!!! All pieces were well protected and packaged. Considering where the machine comes from, i am a little surprised that there wasnt any scratches or anything! The manual was easy to find so we began assembly with the base. Instructions were good and assembly was very easy but I have to admit it wasn’the rocket science either. The hardest part was lifting the sander onto the stand. My buddy and I did it easily and everything lined up so we tightened all of the bolts, hooked up the DC hose and plugged her in.

The machine has a 1-1/2 hp motor which is set up for 110 volt operation only. It draws a lot of amps at start up and this is why it needs a 20 amp circuit. NOTE TO JET: Please allow for a 220 volt conversion here! It would be so much better accordingly! I now understand why they don’t as it would add to the initial machine cost but it would be worth it!

So the unit was literally adjusted by the factory to run as designed. All initial boards run through it were flat across their faces within .002 which is far better than I imagined. And it does it without any measurable snipe!

PROS:
Well packed, good fit and finish, performs better than I expected in accuracy, adjustable feed speed, easy parallelism adjustment, the sanding head moves vs. the drive belt so extension tables are easy to add. They are a factory option, but I’ll try making some instead.

CONS:
110 voltage only, sandpaper drive belt which I have doubts whether it will be very durable.

Overall I am extremely pleased so far. Anytime something works better than expected is a really pleasant positive surprise.

View eflanders's profile

eflanders

View Rich's profile

Rich

#1 posted 03-14-2018 01:35 AM

Moms are the best. What an awesome gift. Coincidentally, I was just poking around a 16/32 in the shop room at my local Woodcraft yesterday. The guys there love it. Their only complaint was that rolling the paper on the drum was finicky, but I think that’s true for most of them.

Regarding the feed belt, theirs has a lot of hours on it and it felt plenty sharp to me. No one mentioned any slipping.

Sounds like you got a great sander, and a great mom.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#2 posted 03-14-2018 02:59 AM

Congrats on your new sander.

I have had one for a number of years and have many many hours on it. There are a couple of reviews on the 16/32 here on LJ’s you can check for upgrades and general use.

If I may help, I found that shortly after setup and use the next purchase was the extension tables. Believe me they really help with stock longer than a few feet. In addition, purchase your belts in bulk rolls and use the originals as templates to cut the new ones.

i also have one of those big rubber eraser blocks used to clean sanding disks, every so often keep the drum spinning and touch up the abrasive with the eraser block. You’ll get more life and better results.

If you are new to drum sanders, you’ll be tempted to hog off a lot of wood… RESIST this temptation and always go lightly. On my machine 1/4 turn is the most you should go, I usually use 1/8 turns.

These things really throw out a lot of dust, if you don’t have a cyclone or two stage separator you will….at some point because you’ll get tired of cleaning out filters. I usually keep a few grits. 80, 120 and 220. The 120 is in there most of the time for what I do.

You’ll find that this will be one of the most used machines in your shop. I prefer it to the planer in many cases due to the absence of any snipe. You’ll find that it will leave small groves along the length of the board no matter the grit but just a few minutes with a random orbit sander or better yet a card scraper and you are ready for finish.

good luck, thanks for sharing

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View Evans_Woodcrafts's profile

Evans_Woodcrafts

#3 posted 03-14-2018 11:44 AM

Great review! I got mine in December and have been very impressed with it so far, too.

View eflanders's profile

eflanders

#4 posted 03-14-2018 12:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words and tips everyone!

View wrenchhead's profile

wrenchhead

#5 posted 03-19-2018 10:33 PM

Thanks for the review. I have been going back and forth between this and the supermax but can’t seem to decide on one yet

-- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRuFxW8HhRfyhbTP4SY5UA I could quit if I wanted