Review by KTNC posted 03-03-2018 07:31 PM 1904 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WoodStock W1104 Board Buddies, Yellow and Freud 10' x 50T Thin Kerf Combination Blade (LU83R010) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

RADIAL ARM SAW Accessories Review: Freud LU83R010 Blade and WoodStock W1104 Board Buddies

I wanted to make ripping safer, easier and more precise on my Craftsman 113.29003 radial arm saw. When my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I asked and received the following:

- Freud 10’ x 50T Thin Kerf Combination Blade (LU83R010)
- WoodStock W1104 Board Buddies, Yellow

Thought I’d share my experience. Enjoy the review.

The board buddies instructions say to mount them a 1 inch wide and 3 to 3.5 inch high fence. Instead, I mounted them on a length of 4×4 which sits on top of a length of 2×4. The top of the 4×4 is a little more than 3 inches above the main table.

Both of these go behind the regular fence and attach to the frame by 1/4 inch bolts. I used existing holes in the frame. The holes through the 2×4 on the bottom are oversized so that the thumbscrews can be used to push it up against the fence.

When I want to rip, I remove the regular back boards and put this in place. The fence is first clamped in place by the thumbscrews and then the vertical bolts are tightened to hold the 4X4 in place.

This arrangement is good only for the IN-RIP configuration, because the board buddies only turn in one direction, which helps prevent kickback. WoodStock does make a set of orange board buddies that turn the opposite direction. I probably wont get those since you have plenty of room for your hands to safely do the job when in the OUT-RIP position.

Test Cut: I ripped a five foot long 2×6 down to 5 inches wide. Previously, I was using an old DeWalt 40 Tooth Carbide blade. That worked very well for crosscuts and OK for ripping, but took a lot of effor to push through and tended to burn if I puased to change hand postions. Compared to that, this new Freud blade took less effort to push the board through and it didn’t burn when I paused. The board buddies kept the workpiece down and against the fence so that I was able to push the workpiece through with a section of 1×4 and was not tempted to get my hands close to the blade. I also tried a crosscut on the 2×6. The cut quality was very good and it cut easily. I’m very satisifed with both the Freud blade and the board buddies.

View KTNC's profile

KTNC

View mel52's profile

mel52

#1 posted 03-04-2018 04:36 AM

The 10 inch 50 tooth combo blade is the same one I use the most on my table saw. Same blade for around 3 or so years and it is still going strong. I would give it a 5 out of five on most crosscuts and a four out of five on rips mainly because it isn’t a dedicated rip blade but does above average, just slow down your feed rate. I haven’t noticed any ( much ) burning on woods except a little on hard maple, probably my fault. I am sure there are better blades, but, I am happy with this one.

-- MEL, Kansas

View gtrgeo's profile

gtrgeo

#2 posted 03-12-2018 07:09 PM

Nice job on installing the board buddies. I have a newer version of your saw. 113.29402. Looks nearly identical except the gold parts are black. It was my dad’s saw and he bought it new to build the house I grew up in. About a year ago I decided to spruce it up and try to get more use out of it. Ended up replacing the motor bearings and purchased a Freud LU91M010 for it as I expect to use it for cross cuts only. I am very impressed with the quality of cut by this blade and the low rake of the teeth make the saw more pleasant to use, less grabby.

View KTNC's profile

KTNC

#3 posted 03-13-2018 01:55 AM

Thanks gtrego. I just looked up a picture of your machine on vintagemachinery.org. Looks like in addition to the black color, you have an extra handle up near the front to help disengage the arm to column indexing pen. I got my saw from my father in law a long time ago. I just recently finished a total disassembly, repair and paint project. I also replaced the bearings like you did. Maybe we’ll get another 50+ years out of them!

I just did my first bevel rip cut. I had to get a 20 degree angle on the edge of a 3’ x4’ piece of plywood. Here are some pictures of the set up. The saw is set up for an in-rip and the bevel is set to 70 degrees. It’s a bit scary seeing all that blade, but my body was about 4 feet away and out of the line of fire and hands nowhere close to the blade.

That triangular piece below is the waste section I cut off the edge. I was wondering if that loose piece might come flying out, but with this orientation it just fell away from the blade.

To do this cut, I clamped a straight edge onto the workpiece and then pushed that against the front of the table.

I was very happy with the blade and saw’s performance doing this cut.