Titebond II Fluorescent Glue

Review by Rich posted 03-03-2018 05:32 PM 1523 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Titebond II Fluorescent Glue No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

(This is from a blog post I did as part of my UV in the Shop series. Since it is a product, I thought I’d add a review for it as well).

Well, who knew that Franklin made a Titebond glue with fluorescent dye added? I sure didn’t. But they do!
It’s Franklin 2316 Titebond Fluorescent Glue.

I’ve read countless articles about glue residue and how to expose it. Conventional wisdom is to dampen it with warm water and the color will change. I’ve used that technique and it works to a degree. I’ve still had occasions where I was fooled and glue residue reared its ugly head.

With this Titebond II glue with fluorescing dye, you can see the glue residue using a $10 UV flashlight.

Here are some images to show its value:

These are a couple of boards glued up with this glue

It looks just like Titebond II. But with a UV flashlight you see this

Here is the backside that was laying on the mat and got glue squeeze-out smeared on it

Looks OK in regular light, but here is the glue residue exposed by the UV light

Honestly, in a typical situation, I’d miss that glue residue. But using Titebond II fluorescent with a UV flashlight exposes it.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

Rich

View Gene Howe's profile (online now)

Gene Howe

#1 posted 03-03-2018 05:43 PM

Never seen that on the shelf. Great idea, Franklin. And, thanks, Rich.

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 03-04-2018 12:42 AM

Thanks!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#3 posted 03-04-2018 01:22 AM

Cool Rich. Leave it to you to come up with something like that.

-- Andy - Seattle USA

#4 posted 03-04-2018 05:03 AM

Gene – I had never seen it either. I stumbled across it doing searches for using UV to highlight glues to see if other glues fluoresce like hide glue. The Titebond site shows a pint bottle, but all I found online were gallons. I ordered from Amazon for $32.79 + 9.95 shipping. Woodworker Express has it for $23.99, but you have to order two gallons. Not sure of the shipping on that one.

Lew – You’re welcome. Let me know if you get some and like it.

Andy – lol. It makes me want to do some windowpane and put Hendrix on the stereo. I was joking with my wife that I could paint invisible blacklight art on my pieces. It might turn out to be more popular than the black velvet Elvis paintings. Still jealous about that Laguna of yours, BTW.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

#5 posted 03-04-2018 11:29 PM

Thanks for the info. Good review and cool product awareness for us all. Thanks

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#6 posted 03-05-2018 02:15 AM

Very clever they are

-- It’s the knowledge in your head, skill in your hands and motivation to create in you heart that makes you a woodworker. - Mainiac Matt

View Jon Hobbs's profile

Jon Hobbs

#7 posted 03-05-2018 07:07 PM

- Rich

Brilliant!! Period accurate highboy by day….psychedelic Pink Floyd poster by night

-- Jon -- Just a Minnesota kid hanging out in Kansas

View RandyinFlorida's profile

RandyinFlorida

252 posts in 2092 days

#8 posted 03-06-2018 01:27 PM

Love it. Never heard of it. THANKS!

-- Randy in Crestview Florida, Wood Rocks!

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#9 posted 03-21-2018 09:27 PM

Neat. I wonder if the dye affects the glue strength.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#10 posted 03-22-2018 05:48 AM

- bobasaurus

Since they are branding it as Titebond II, my guess is that it’s an equivalent product, with dye added. Otherwise they’d brand it Titebond Fluorescent, like they do with other specialty products like Extend and Thick & Quick.

Can’t say for sure though. Besides hide glue, it’s my go-to PVA glue now, and it’s performing just like I’d expect a quality Titebond product to.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#11 posted 03-22-2018 01:05 PM

must work well on veneers :<))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#12 posted 03-22-2018 05:27 PM

I better never use that, my projects would glow all over …. !

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#13 posted 03-23-2018 03:15 AM

Cools stuff. And I already have the flashlight in my toolbox to use. Off to do some shopping. Thanks Rich, good review.

- bobasaurus

If it is like the dye we use in HVAC systems in automotive the glue strength is not affected.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

#14 posted 03-24-2018 04:08 AM

- woodbutcherbynight

For Marines like you, they need to come up with night vision glue. No light needed, just put on the goggles.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#15 posted 03-25-2018 02:11 AM

- Rich

ROFL

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.