Benjamin's Best 6 piece Anniversary Set

Review by interpim posted 12-20-2009 05:27 AM 3023 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Benjamin's Best 6 piece Anniversary Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this set of tools with a $10 coupon from Penn State, and have had about a week to put them to use.

For the most part these are decent chisels, hold an edge well, and are beefy enough to prevent chatter.
I knocked off one star due to the length of the chisel as a whole. I was expecting them to be a bit longer, They will suffice for work on my midi-lathe, but if you are getting into larger pieces I could foresee them being a bit of a hindrance.

The chisels came with a decent grind on them, 15 minutes and I had the entire box ready to go with razor sharp edges. I have cut walnut and redwood with these, and as I said before the edges have held up really well.

For the purposes of this review I can’t really say much about the scraper as it is the first scraper I have owned. It did put a finish cut on the wood that was outstanding.

-- San Diego, CA

thanks for the review.

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#2 posted 12-20-2009 05:39 PM

Cool, thanks for the reveiw, I have been looking at these tools, as a reasonabley priced alternative to some of the other gouges I have been using.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View peruturner's profile

peruturner

317 posts in 2016 days

#3 posted 12-20-2009 07:53 PM

Thanks for the review,I also got me some gouges from them(the bowl gouge set,3 for $59)they are ok for the job,but they are not sorbys,I had put them to work toguether,and the sorbys 1/2” is far better than the pennstate,of course it cost more $60 for one gouge,but over all they handle thejob ok,my2cents

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1924 days

#4 posted 12-20-2009 08:05 PM

Thanks for the review….these tools are great for a start up set….once you discover which tools you use the most…you can then purchase them with a longer sillouette and handle….or…I have a couple of these that I have ground different profiles in for experimentation…..they are excellent for making custom profiles….you can also remove the stock handles and make your own longer custom ones….all in all they are not too bad a deal..

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#5 posted 12-21-2009 06:16 AM

I just purchased a Benjamin’s Best 1” Roughing Gouge and haven’t ha a chance to use it yet, thanks for the review. I purchased it to use in a Marc Adam’s School Shaker Candle Stand I’m taking next Summer.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View FenceWorkshop's profile

FenceWorkshop

#6 posted 12-21-2009 09:24 AM

View interpim's profile

interpim

#7 posted 03-13-2012 07:40 PM

I figured since I’ve owned these for about a bit over 2 years now, I would write a follow-up…

As I mentioned in the original review, these are not as long as I wanted. Since purchasing this set, I have upgraded to a Sorby bowl gouge, and Goose neck hollowing tool.
The tools from this set that still get regular use are the roughing gouge, and parting tool… The others mostly collect dust in the box.

As far as my comparison went when I originally purchased these tools, they were the best tools I had used at the time. The edge retention is still pretty good, but not as good as a higher quality tool such as Sorby. I have definitely gotten my money’s worth out of these, and would still recommend them for a beginning turner.

For a more serious turner who wants to do larger or more frequent projects, I would say save up a bit for a higher quality set of tools.

-- San Diego, CA

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#8 posted 03-13-2012 10:02 PM

Been 813 days since my last post here, see above, my Benjamin’s have done me well but I tend to agree with interim.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................