Sweet little tool

Review by Drewskie posted 1715 days ago 3252 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sweet little tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is one of those tools that you buy for specific uses, so naturally I hemmed and haw for a while before purchasing. Over the last few months I have experienced using the Fein tool from time to time on different job sites. Once you use this type of tool you under stand the convenience, instead of breaking out you Japanese saw. I’m not one for long winded review, but I will say this Bosch always makes a quality tool and the quality, power and easy of use are on point with the Fein plus its cordless and less expensive. I give this on 2 thumbs up I say.
One more thing to add, they include an adapter plate for the Fein accessories, nice.

-- I cut it three times and its still to short? www.work-in-wood.com

View Drewskie's profile

Drewskie

112020 posts in 2212 days

Good review. In magazine reviews they say the handle gets very hot because the battery heats up, Have you found this to be the case?

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

I’ve used the Fein a few times but I can’t imagine for the life of me that the Bosch has anywhere near the power of the fein with that little battery. Probably great for a couple small jobs

-- Paul

View TheMacMan's profile

TheMacMan

I have one of these as well, and I love it. I have not had any problems with the handle getting hot. I have found that the power and the battery life are pretty impressive. I have used it for pulling up tile, cutting drywall, cutting pvc pipes, trimming wood in tight spots, detail sanding, and more. Although my projects are relatively small, I rarely have to reach for a second battery or have a power issue.

-- Dan

View jim1953's profile

jim1953

I want one

-- Jim, Kentucky

View Drewskie's profile

Drewskie

I feel it has plenty of power, and battery life. I have used the fein enough to get a good feel for it, i say they are equal. In my professional opion if i was going to use it continualy for an hour at a time, i would defintly want a cord. For what i do cabinet intallation where i may use the tool for 15 minutes at a time its perfect so far. The first job i used on was cutting through 1 1/2” X 6” VG fir no problem and no warm handle. I could imagine that you could heat up the handle if you used it contiusly under load just like any other corless tool.

-- I cut it three times and its still to short? www.work-in-wood.com

112020 posts in 2212 days

Well guy’s I’m glad you’ve had good luck with your Boschs but the review I read pretty much said all the battier operated ones that there batteries got so hot they could not use them. I’ve had Fein muti master for years and I can’t imagine a batter operated tool being a tool that can deliver power for bigger jobs. The review I read I think was either in fine woodworking or fine home building. I think they reviewed 3 different battery operated models and one plug in from HF and another brand, The others were made by sears and Rigid. I think I looked at the review in amazon and I think it said something similar. I’m not trying to put down your new tool but those who might consider buying one might want to do a little research.

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

I’ll back you on the research comment Jim. I spent a little bit debating and reading until my eyes were about sore before picking up the Dremel model. I have great respect for the Fein, just couldn’t justify the cost for the jobs I was going to use it for. The reviews I read in regards to the Bosch had the batterly life lasting about 8 minutes when heavily used. I wasn’t comfortable with that type of limit and went with the corded model. Ironically, the HF unit has had pretty solid reviews. I would have to see what a long term owner would have to say about it though. Still too new to see how it would go for a long haul.

In the end, it would come down to personal preference and the types of projects you are going to use it for, just like every other tool in the world. I always have to read Amazon reviews with a big grain of salt. One of the negative reviews from a Dremel user was that the tool couldn’t handle the job he needed it for and he had to finish it with a circular saw. I was thinking “hmmm, you are not happy because the 1.5 amps couldn’t keep up with a 15 amp tool?” I quickly tossed that one aside.

Thanks for the review Drewskie and as always, Jim, thanks for sharing your wisdom. I always like reading your posts.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

403 posts in 2030 days

Dave do you like the Dremel? hope so it is on sale at my Manards for $89 right now….

-- Cosmicturner

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

Jeffrey,

I like the dremel just fine. I haven’t tortured it with really large tasks yet, so have not pitched it to others as a necessary purchase, but it has handled things around here ok. I mostly have used it on my staircase that I need to refinish. I had stripped off layers of paint and had some dried residue that would not come off. As a paint scraper and detailed sander it has done pretty well and I don’t regret buying it.

Biggest complaints I have heard about it sound more like complaints about the cutting blade attachments in comparison with the Fein. The metal cutting blades will go through non-ferrous metal but is not going to handle being jammed into a bunch of nail studded boards. There is no adapter for the Dremel that will allow it to use Fein blades but if you snip the blade on a Dremel attachment, you can use it to lay over a Fein blade and use the old Dremel blade as an adapter. It will feel warm to the touch while using but I have not felt it get uncomfortably hot. It is a high speed oscillating cutter so I think the warmth is pretty normal. It has a 2 year warranty and Dremel is a respectable company.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View papadan's profile

papadan

1140 posts in 2003 days

I bought the Fein TOP kit about 3 years ago. The first 3 months I had it I used it a few times but was wondering if I made a mistake spending so much. Especially after all the clones started hitting the market. Before long I started using it almost all the time and now I will never be without it. If I lost it tonight, I would buy another Fein tomorrow. Simply incredible tool.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View Rick's profile

Rick

What do all you guys use these for? I want to buy one just cause I’m a tool nut but I can’t think of anything I’d use it for except for construction and remodeling projects. Neither of which I’m doing. Any other excuses to buy one?

Hey Rick
These type of tools can be used in operations such as cutting out flooring instead of using a circular saw that can not cut a close area , you take this tool and can cut straight down . I think Fein my have a on line demo of there tool.

View TheMacMan's profile

TheMacMan

Rick,

I have found mine most useful for tasks around the house. However I have used it in the shop for detail sanding and for cutting off trim. It is especially useful for cutting in small areas or corners that would be difficult to cut with a Japanese saw.

... since when do you need an excuse to buy a new tool ;-)

Dan

-- Dan

View sparkyjohn's profile

sparkyjohn

I bought a Bosch Multi-X several years ago and use it mainly for cutting in switch and outlet boxes on remodels, it’s a great tool for cutting through drywall without creating a lot of dust and cleanup, also on older homes with lath and plaster walls you can cut without vibrating the lath and cracking the surrounding plaster. I haven’t had a problem with the tool handle heating up, although if your doing a lot of cutting you need to have a supply of charged batteries, and a few extra batteries and chargers is a necessity. Overall it’s a very useful tool for cutting square holes and plunge cutting without vibrating the work and creating a lot of dust and mess to clean up.

-- John, San Jose, CA, All Phase Plumbing and Electrical

112020 posts in 2212 days

I thought Bosch just came out with there multi tool the end of last year?