WEN 3920 scroll saw

Review by woodworm1962 posted 02-16-2018 03:09 AM 1362 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

WEN 3920 scroll saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I would like to start out with I have no experiences with scroll saws so I admit I have no knowledge of using other scroll saws..

I bought and have fallen in love with this saw. I dont have a lot of small curvy work to do until recently. Until then my 14 inch Grizzly bandsaw did whatever I needed.

I needed to make a lot of INSIDE cuts for a project.

This saw came, took me a few minutes to set up. No mess no fuss! POW I am cutting….

It is very well BALANCED!

When I bought this saw I was thinking how was I going to SAND the edges of tight small enclosed areas. I stumbled onto these these little magical things….

I was very dubious of a TOOL made by a company I have never heard anything about and very little info on and literally flipped a coin to buy this or another one! I am glad I got it!.

AS of now if I was to make a choice between any GRIZZLY tool and a WEN I would buy a WEN! HANDS DOWN!

I will be buying more WEN tools!

Did i say how awesome the sander blades things are! ALSO the ones I bought were for PLAIN BLADE attachments I like the PIN set up so I took a finishing nail clipped a short piece, sanded it a little heated it up with a Torch pushed it through the plastic tang on the sander things and they work great. Some have complained they break too easily I am still on my first one but I keep it clean .

I have been using this more and more where I would normally use my bandsaw.. For one the cut is clean as a KATS ARSE!

Please give WEN a TRY!

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#1 posted 02-16-2018 02:50 PM

I love my bench drill press (Palmgren 80153 1/2 HP 15-Inch 12-Speed Bench Drill Press), but I needed more height capacity for some work, so I went the cheapo route, WEN 8.6 Amp 15 in. Floor Standing Drill Press with Variable Speed for $399 from Walmart. The drill press has exceeded my expectations and like you I will not turn my nose up to their offerings.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

#2 posted 02-16-2018 04:02 PM

A girlfriend of mine bought be a $399 Porter Cable Floor Drill press for Christmas one year. The run out on it is so bad while drilling it actually shakes the piece I am working on. Its all a crap shoot..

Tools and girlfriends!

- cmmyakman

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#3 posted 02-16-2018 08:21 PM

Wen appears to be a well kept secret. I have several Wen tools from 25+ years back and they still work (when I use them). My latest is the Wen oscillating spindle sander. It works great and is the cheapest of the “Wen clones”. So far, Wen has been getting good reviews despite it’s low cost.

View mel52's profile

mel52

#4 posted 02-17-2018 03:22 AM

I have the same WEN scroll saw which is now around 3 or 4 months old and I also am quite impressed with it. I went out and bought a bunch of different blades with various tooth set-ups, in both pin and pin less styles. It took me a little while to figure out how the pin less blades worked correctly, since then, no problems. I also have a WEN oscillating spindle sander that I use a lot. No problems with it either. Both have fairly low prices, but have had good reviews over all.

-- MEL, Kansas

View htl's profile

htl

#5 posted 02-17-2018 05:40 AM

I got the Wen scroll saw a little while back and love the way the blades get tightened, just lift a lever in the back and it’s loss.
This is the same saw that HF sells but with the new lever it works much better.
I owned the HF one and made quite a few projects with it but it started going bad and I figure it was because of having to twist the nob on the back and I think I over tightening it.
So the new saw just has a lever so no over tightening it. LOL
I don’t use one that much so have no need to put the big $$$ in one.

I need to check out some of those sanding blades.

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View dbeck's profile

dbeck

#6 posted 02-17-2018 09:48 AM

I have the same one(and MANY other wen tools) and it has done flawless work for me. All the other tools have surpassed my expectations by far, for a hobby worker on a budget they are amazing.

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

#7 posted 02-17-2018 03:31 PM

I believe this saw is made by Ryobi for Wen, Sears, Skil, PC and some other tool manufacturers. I had the skil version for a while it worked well much better than my previous saw. I does have a vibration at higher rpms. I didn’t notice it until I got into more intricate projects.
Over all it is a good beginner saw. I am going to check out those sanding blades.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

#8 posted 02-17-2018 06:00 PM

I will be buying more WENs

Keeping fingers crossed on a WEN TABLE SAW!

View htl's profile

htl

#9 posted 02-17-2018 08:21 PM

The one real negative is the insert and like most it is to soft and gives when working on small parts but there are work around for this.